1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What have we here? PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nurse_turtle, Aug 10, 2011.

1. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    This is some kind of silkie mix I believe. Do silkie's wing feathers normally look like this? Do they curve outward away from the body? Wonder what color this heathen might be? It's 8 days old. Reportedly in a pen with polish frizzle roo and silkie hen and other polish/frizzle hens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    It might be a frizzle (maybe a frizzled cochin?). Doesn't look anything like a silkie to me.

3. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Maybe a Silkie X Frizzle? I see it has 5 fingers... It is a sizzle.

4. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    I second that......a sizzle...A frizzle silkie, because of then 5 toes and the way the feather grow backwards like that is called frizzle. Any breed can have frizzled feathers if its in thier genetics

Polish have 5 toes too though...so maybe polish frizzle

5. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Well how cute. Sometimes mutts make the best pets. What color should i expect her to become?

6. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Quote:Polish have 4 toes [​IMG] Houdans, Favorelles, Dorkings and silkies have 5 toes though...

7. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Quote:Polish have 4 toes [​IMG] Houdans, Favorelles, Dorkings and silkies have 5 toes though...

I totally knew that lol, i was thinking of my houdan that kinda looked like that! LOL
    I meant HOUDANS have 5 toes and for some reason alot of people this year have been hatching out houdans but being told they are polish...I ended up with about 6 of them!

8. John Chicken GB

John Chicken GB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Great Britain
    Quote:I think its a Silkie crossed with a spider ..... Spooky . lol

9. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Yea...one of those furry brown wolf spiders! Ooooooooooowwwllll!!![​IMG]

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    If he/she came from a pen of possible frizzled mothers and a frizzled dad, you're taking a chance on "frazzled" offspring, which is a genetic problem with frizzles wherein the offspring get two "doses" of the frizzle gene and it can cause feather breakage and other genetic problems... your chick doesn't look like a frazzle, but I would remove either the male frizzle or the female frizzles or frizzle gene carriers of one sex from the breeding pen just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by