What Have You Judged Today ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ocap, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    This thread is intended to help me decide between roosters. Culling is a necessary part of the backyard dual purpose flock when one rooster will be kept and one will be eaten. Please post pictures of both choices when you are making a culling decision.
    I will post pictures when my chickens are old enough and a judgement is required. In the mean time please take the title of the thread and run with it. Did you judge your dinner and give it a blue ribbon? Favorite chicken recipes? Fermented feed or dry you be the judge and let us know what your decision was. Best place to raise a family, you be the judge and let us know how you decided. All time favorite book. Two football teams in the same metro area and you must judge which is your favorite, let us know. Last years "Best Picture", did you agree?

Today I had a difficult time judging which area of BYC to post this thread and judged "Breeds, Genetics, & Showing" to be the winner.

2. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    You are so right we do make judgment calls everyday without realizing it. I had to decide yesterday morning if I should return my mean hen back to isolation. She did well for a couple of days with the flock but she again started to terrorize the younger ones at breakfast. They were having a hard time eating as they were keeping one eye on her at all times. So unfortunately she is back in her own yard. I held her for about 5 minutes and boy was she mad. When she calmed some I sat her on the ground and she raised such a stink it was comical but she went after one of the girls so she lost her privilege of being with the flock.

3. ocap

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    Awoke to fresh snow this morning, drivers here are not skilled and I have a lunch planned with a very good friend. I must judge the condition of the roads.

4. ocap

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I found a thread today called "Crossing your own meat breed" and find that I am interested in this idea also. Judging which rooster to use is fun for this thread also.

Here are the breeds that I have ordered and will do something similar to what RBOutdoors is asking about:
    White Jersey Giant
    Buckeye
    Australorp
    Silver Penciled Wyandotte
    Buff Orpington
    Buff Brahma
    and Silkie bantam for my broody hens although three of the breeds above are good brooders

Which Rooster breed should I use? (Most if not all of the wyandotte hens will be separated)

5. ocap

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have decided to cross breed only to the F1 cross, I will keep chicken tractors for the pure replacements and process all the F1 produced at 20 weeks or sooner.
    this way I can have multiple rooster breeds free range with my hens and see which breeds do best with my hawk problem. I live near an airport so they learn to run from flying objects at a young age.

6. ocap

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    Watched the television news, judged whether they were telling me the truth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by