1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what heat lamp do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by edahcsmac, Aug 14, 2014.

1. edahcsmac

edahcsmac Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Pa
    I am hatching out serama chicks and I was wondering what type of heat lamp would you guys recommend. 3 eggs just went into lockdown, and I am running a little late preparing the brooder. My dog had a soft tissue injury near his left hip and I have been worrying over him for the last 5 days instead of setting up the brooder.[​IMG] oops! any help would be great!

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I use two different ones, depending on what brooder I am using. One is a standard red heat bulb in the metal clamp on holder. Be very careful that it can't fall. The other one that I use is an eco-glow. Expensive, but well worth the money.

3. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

I use the standard metal brooder light you can buy just about anywhere with the 250W red bulb in both my brooders. Like mrchicks said, you have to be careful as the clamping mechanism is pretty poor. I normally clamp and chain them just to be safe.

4. edahcsmac

May 31, 2014
    Pa
    Thanks! I dug up a old lamp that I can replace with a red bulb. It stands up on it's own and it is very sturdy! I'll make a run to petco tomorrow to get the bulb.

5. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

Be careful if the lamp has a plastic socket for the bulb. The $11 brooder lamps I have use a ceramic socket. The do get hot!

6. edahcsmac

May 31, 2014
    Pa
    Thanks for the heads up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by