1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What hen lays dark brown speckled eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by festivefeet, Mar 27, 2010.

1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Last year we went to the county fair and laying out were dozens and dozens of eggs in the produce barn (for judging). As I went around to look at them, I found a couple dozen that were deep brown with darker brown speckles. They were beautiful. But oddly enough, there were no labels anywhere to say which kind of hen laid them....there were also no barn attendants to answer question either. [​IMG]

So I was hoping that possibly you all could help me track down the type of hen that might have laid these. [​IMG]

Thanks.
    J.

2. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    I could be worng cause i am still new to this as well but i think that they are Copper Marans?

3. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be Welsumers.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

My cuckoo marans lay dark eggs and some of them are speckled. They are gorgeous.

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Welsummers lay a dark terra-cotta colored egg, and it seems like a lot of them lay speckled eggs too.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

One of my Production Reds lays a speckled brown egg.

7. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Our australorps lay pretty brown speckled eggs.

8. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    My BC Marans, Maizie Mae, lays really dark speckled eggs. Did the eggs you see look like the dark ones in this photo?

Jen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I don't think you can tell it in this pic, but these have speckles on them.
    [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Usually Welsummers have quite the spotted, speckled eggs that are a terra cotta brown color. Marans are much darker, but sometimes have spots/speckles as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by