What hens are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JeanneBen504, Dec 9, 2012.

1. JeanneBen504

JeanneBen504 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Pierce County, WA
    Back in the spring I bought a mixture of chicks from a local farm store, was supposed to have cornish x, gold and black sex links, and ameracaunas.... the 2 that are supposed to be ameracaunas don't look anything like the ones in the pictures, and they lay rose-ish colored eggs (sometimes with pastel colored spots). The hens are prodominately brown with black around the edge of most of their feathers, goldish-eyes, red or red & black comb on their heads,
    [​IMG]

they are on my profile picture with some of the other hens. They are lovely girls, a bit skiddish, just curious of what they are and why did they sell me birds that they claimed to be something else? There's only 1 in this picture, her comb still pale and with the yellow legs, next to the black hen, they are all only about 3 months old here.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Ameraucanas" sold by most hatcheries and feed stores are in fact Easter eggers - crossbred chickens which may or may not carry the blue egg laying gene and produce eggs of varying colors. I would guess that the pullets in question fit into this category.

3. JeanneBen504

Aug 19, 2012
    Pierce County, WA
    Thank you, I do like them, I was just hoping for the more variety in the colors so I could better tell who laid what.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i see 2 isa browns (red sex links) on the right

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your little easter egger looks like the hatchery strayed too far from their basic stock. She has yellow legs, looks clean faced and appears to have a straight comb. A pea comb is closely linked to green or blue eggs, so a straight combed bird will probably give you brown eggs. The hatcheries do claim the easter eggers can lay pink eggs, which would probably cover the rose color you describe.

6. JeanneBen504

Aug 19, 2012
    Pierce County, WA
    Thank you, still not sure what a pea comb looks like, but most of our hens seem to have short strait little comb/ crowns. I thank all of you for your help. I don't know if I should mention the name of the chain store I got them at, after all we love our birds just the same... just feel a bit jipped as we specifically asked for hens that lay blue or green eggs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by