1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Hovabator do you own?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sparrker, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Model 1602n

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Model 2362N

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Model 2365

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Model 1583

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Model 1586

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Model 1588

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I've been looking at incubators and have been leaning towards the hovabator? They're reasonably priced for the amount of eggs they hatch, with the turner and fan. I still haven't chose what model but am still flexible on brand. I may choose a hovabator or some other brand , still in the beginning of the choosing process. Would like to know good, bad and ugly about your incubator. I can't spend hundreds of dollars. see that the 1583,1586 and 1588 all have the big window( lselling point with a 3 year old and 21 month old) but have different thermostats. What is the difference with a wafer one and electric thermostat.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've got the 1588. It is a fairly reliable incubator that holds temperature and humidity pretty well for me. I like the forced air feature and I suggest you get the turner. I store the eggs in the turner when I am collecting them to start incubation. Just take it out of the incubator and plug it in.

You can see inside fairly well, though not great. I can put a few of those straws with the accordian joints together and reach all the water reservoirs if I need to add water during lockdown. Just go in through the vent hole and use a syringe to put water through the straw.

The plastic tray at the bottom that has the water reservoirs works really well to keep the incubator clean during hatch. Hatch can get pretty messy but that plastic tray cleans up easily. The water level in the reservoirs is hard to see. I use a hygrometer to tell me when the humidity is dropping and I need to add water more than worrying about exactly what the humidity is.

The turner has six rows of seven pockets. You can remove one or more rows if you wish. That gives you a bit more flexibility in setting it up to hatch.

I wish it had another vent hole for a bit more flexibility, but since it is a forced air, that one gives it enough fresh air. If I had another vent hole, I think I could control humidity a bit better.

It is foam, not hard plastic. I have not had any problems cleaning it after a hatch, but I can see where it would be harder to clean than a hard plastic one if it got messy. If you clean it up outside, watch the wind. It's fairly light weight. That foam is not as durable as a hard plastic. I only hatch a couple of times a year so it works for me, but if I were hatching much more often, I'd probably get a hard plastic one.

I don't like the dip switches that you use to adjust the temperatures. They are hard to use and mine don't work as advertised. A certain sequence is supposed to make a specific adjustment and it does not. There is a lot lof trial and error in adjusting mine. To me, this is the biggest downside to my 1588. Factory settings on my specific one are just a tad high and every time the power goes out, it defaults back to the factory settings. As a result, my hatches are always early. I don't think it is supposed to work that way, but mine does.

You get some clips to hold the wire mesh on top of the plastic reservoir tray. All they are are paper clips. They are a bit inconvenient to use. They should have provided some better flat places to slip them on. But they do work. It just could be better.

I'm mentioning a lot of problems or inconveniences, but in reality I get good hatches and it is easy to use. And I read the other day in a different thread on here that they have revised the 1588 some. I don't know what changes they made in the new model.

3. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Thank you

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    I have the 1588. I just set my first eggs a couple of days ago. It is holding the temps well. I bought this one because I have heard so many good things about it. I also have a used 1062n but I have not use it yet. I thought I might use it as a hatcher if needed. I did install a pc fan in it.

5. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Model 1583 - the one with the big window

I have two of the 2362N models as well they have two small windows - I like the big window one better - easier to see my thermometer and humidity thingy inside.

6. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Just bought the Genesis 1588 with turners from Cutlers. Thank everyone

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by