What human sounds do chicks/chickens recognize easily?

Chocobo

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I have been told that every time I give my chicks a treat or reward them I should say the same thing or make the same sound. What human sounds do chicks and chickens recognize the most easily?
It's my understanding that dogs tend to listen to the middle of words and specifically vowel sounds so when training them it's important to keep that in mind. Are there any similar rules of thumb for chickens?
I obviously can't make the same sounds they do and being a person of the male persuasion I can't get my voice too high either.
What do you all do?
Actual words? Whistling? Tongue clucks? Finger snaps?

Last edited:
Quote:
I also have some bells on the door outside the coop that they hear whenever I come around and they recognize that and come running also

If youve got small chicks then whenever you wanna gather them make a smacking sound with your lips continuously.with your forefinger keep "pecking " the ground.the chicks will gather around you.once you've made them familiar to this sound they will probably listen to any similar sound like tongue clicking,or snapping fingers.

At first, I tried calling out "Chickens! Come here chickens!"
But after a while I gave up.
Because....
The come running if they: hear my voice, see me coming, notice the gate opening, or get any other signs that I might be approaching.
I might have food, after all.
They like food. If you bring it often enough that they recognize you as the primary bringer of delicious things, you will have to try to find some noise to make to get them to leave you alone! I have no idea what that would be, BTW. Mine follow me around for at least the first 5 minutes I am in their yard. 10 if I have ANYTHING in my hands. 20 if they have reason to believe it might be edible. Nothing I can do to stop it. I just have to wait till they get bored and wander off before I can do anything.
smile.png

With my little ones, I make kissy sounds (I know it sounds weird!) and say "Hi peeps, treat time!" every time I want them close to me. I reward with mealworms. (dead ones!!)

I say, "Chickens! I have CHICKENS!"

And darned if they don't come running. I've said that to them every single day, maybe a few times a day some days, just because I was thrilled at having chickens. I suspect my closest neighbors got tired of hearing that... probably wanted to say, "Alright, already, Linda - we KNOW you have chickens! You've had them for months!"

And now it's been over a year. Those same neighbors buy a dozen eggs every week, sometimes two dozen.

But the chickens will come running even if they've wandered away and I've been out in the yard with them for a couple of hours, and say in this over-enthused tone of voice, "Chickens! I have CHICKENS!"

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
but so true! Anna, we are on the same wavelength! When my birds were younger or when I am raising youngsters, I have a rain stick that I shake, yell TREEEEEEEAT like Anna does, and toss something down for them. They get it pretty quickly! Now if they are free ranging they come chicken-running from afar when TREEEEEATS are called, or I used the rainstick! See?
cool.png

65263_persimmon_yes_please.jpg

Anna, how are the Wellies?
Dawn

Back
Top Bottom