What % humidity is too much?

my8girls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
My coop is currently 25 degrees F, and 79% humidity! We scooped the poop today, and had changed all the bedding last weekend. It's 4x8 (minus about 4" on each side, plus the top, when we insulated it), with a 6" by 12" screened window for ventilation. Eight large chickens inside. They only sleep in there; they have the run of the backyard all day. Is something wrong with my setup? Is it too humid? It's currently 13 degrees outside. We're still getting 4-5 eggs per day, so I'm guessing they're not in distress... I just feel like this is awful humid.
hmm.png

How humid is the ambient air? It's usually >70% here (frequently in the high 80s), so that doesn't seem all that bad to me.

In California probably not.

High humidity in lower temps can cause respiratory issues and possible frostbite.

Lots of information available on this subject on this site.

This morning it was 14F in my coop with 16% humidity, same as outside the coop
smile.png

In California probably not.

High humidity in lower temps can cause respiratory issues and possible frostbite.

Lots of information available on this subject on this site.

This morning it was 14F in my coop with 16% humidity, same as outside the coop
smile.png

There's no indication where the questioner is, which is why I asked. It gets that cold in places I'm familiar with that still have relatively high humidity. For example, Tahoe.

My coop is currently 25 degrees F, and 79% humidity! We scooped the poop today, and had changed all the bedding last weekend. It's 4x8 (minus about 4" on each side, plus the top, when we insulated it), with a 6" by 12" screened window for ventilation. Eight large chickens inside. They only sleep in there; they have the run of the backyard all day. Is something wrong with my setup? Is it too humid? It's currently 13 degrees outside. We're still getting 4-5 eggs per day, so I'm guessing they're not in distress... I just feel like this is awful humid.
hmm.png

Yes, a well ventilated coop will have the close to equal humidity inside and out.

There's no indication where the questioner is, which is why I asked. It gets that cold in places I'm familiar with that still have relatively high humidity. For example, Tahoe.

Yes, no doubt about it, that's why I initially said a well ventilated coop will have close to equal humidity inside and out.

It's the added humidity, and odorless ammonia, that comes from chicken breath and poop, that is harmful to the respiratory tract regardless of your location.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I live in Colorado, so not typically very humid. It hasn't gotten that humid since; the most I've seen is about 60%. Maybe that day was more humid than normal, I don't know. I have pine litter in the coop, and Sweet PDZ under their roost. I'll talk to the hubby about adding more ventilation. Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom