What humidity should the incubator stay out throughout incubation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dusterbd, Jun 21, 2010.

1. dusterbd

dusterbd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    I have a still air incubator but we bought the fan kit and the automatic egg turner. Our eggs will be hatching within the next 5 days but no matter how hard i try i cant get the humidity up above 35-39. I am pretty sure it needs to be atleast 80 three days before they hatch for easy egg cracking. I am positive they are growing fine just want them to be able to hatch easy as well. I would like to know for future references what it needs to stay at throughout the incubation process. Thank you!!!

2. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    It needs to be 65-70 for the last 3 days. You can mist inside the incubator to raise the humidity or put in sponges. I had a chick hatch with humidity at 30 but I dont recommend that because I was in a little humid hot room and I wasnt expecting the chick to hatch.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    This is just a general rule of thumb as to what I have listed below, some people may fluctuate a bit from what's stated below, but that's how I run mine per Tuffoldhen's recommendations to me.

Days 1 - 18 = 40-50%
    Days 19 - 21 = 60-70%

4. dusterbd

Jun 9, 2010
    what should the humidity be for the first 18 days of incubation? I will deffinately try the sponge and misting. Thanks maybe it will bring it up.

5. dusterbd

Jun 9, 2010
    Thank you TaLani That will definately help for future hatching....

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    duster, what kind of hygrometer are you using?

Is it one with a probe? If so, you need to put the WHOLE hygrometer inside the incubator, not just the probe.

7. dusterbd

Jun 9, 2010
    its one that I picked up at wal-mart. It reads the temp and humidity together. It is all the way in the incubator setting on top of the eggs under the window for easy viewing.

8. pfmoore17

pfmoore17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    CT
    Quote:Those typically are inaccurate. At least 3 of mine were.

9. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Hi,
    I lost my first batch this year because I did not calibrate my hydrometer.........
    When I did, it was way off.
    I was told to mix, in a coffee cup, half a cup of salt, quarter cup of water..stir a little, does not need to disolve.
    Put the cup and hydrometer in a zip lock bag, close and leave it. Some said for 8 tp 12 hrs.some said 24?
    I do 12
    Also. I cut a kitchen sponge, new of course, into three pieces and used this to bring humidity up. Works for me
    and having the small pieces allows me some control.
    It was also suggested to me to use a straw or syringe with flexible fish tank tubing to add water through the holes on top.

Good Luck,
    You'll be fine this early in the hatch.....

10. dusterbd

Jun 9, 2010
    Well I found out why it is hard for me to keep the humidity up. I just added water and noticed the floor was wet around the incubator shortly after. I will definately have to do the sponge to keep it up. Thank you all for your help....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by