What I Bring - A tribute to the unwanted dog

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TwistedSerpent, May 22, 2010.

1. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    I used to manage a dog rescue in Minnesota that I did a lot of fundraising and promotional things for. This slideshow was something I made up that ended up being put on the website, was turned into a beautiful photo album that was taken to all events we went to, as well as prospects of it being turned into calanders and posters. There are two versions of it, one the creater of the website made and my original. The one the builder made is the one on the website, he deleted the small text which bothered me and they wanted me to add more to it.

To me the text is one of the main parts of it, it not only tells a story but each line has a deep connection to the dogs pictured and their personal story. Later on I want to add small paragraphs about that to this. I forgot to cut off the end of the song to finish with the slideshow, but its there if you wish to listen to it.

To anyone who has gotten the chance to work with or adopt a rescued dog you know the deep impact you both have on each others lives, there's a way the dog knows you gave it a second chance and it is forever thankful. The dogs we got in were bottom of the list, end of the barrel, sickest nearly borderlining death as you could get. They all fought so hard to recover and the fire in them is still burning. The majority of the dogs pictured came from a high kill shelter in New Mexico, and were photographed on their first time out of the kennel being allowed to run once they were healthy enough, you can really see the joy and new life in them. Enjoy -

First is my original, the text is in the description if you have a hard time reading it -

The second is the one made for the rescue, different music and more pictures -

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I think its awesome what you're doing. And you're nobel for doing it! But I can't watch your slides... I'll cry! [​IMG] I'm sure its great though! I went to a dog shelter when I was little, realized what happens when they don't get picked.... cryed there, and all the way home! I can't even go in one because I'll want to bring every dog, cat, and anything else there home. I donate money for them and dog & cat food when I can.

3. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    There is something wonderfully rewarding in being able to see the dog under the problems.

One of my rescues in particular is a fantastic dog, and when people gush about him, I get a little prickly. Two years ago they all hated him because he was so nasty looking/smelling and I got a lot of "just get rid of that thing!"...
    His forever home ended up being here, because no one would bother to get to know him since he's kinda freaky looking.

Foster dogs are great and you're great for doing what you do!
    It always hurts to let them go, though. [​IMG]

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh man, that song always makes me want to cry... lame that littlefoot does me in, I know.

But that is just beautiful and there's no way it's the same without the full effect
    Though, an easier to read print would be nice.

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I'm not gonna watch it, I KNOW I'll cry. My dogs are my life and have been over many years and I've lost too many that were dear to me. I have nine right now that are gonna kill me when they go!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] To you for making their lives a little more bearable, sometimes it's the best we can do. I've picked up many a stray over the years and either found it's owner or found it a real home. They always thanked me with wags. Some may have not been the prettiest or the best behaved, some may have have had temperament troubles, but they were all my friends.

Happy wags and my your paws always find interesting trails to follow [​IMG]

Wolfie

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oops, hope it wasn't my post that made you not watch it. *blush*

The images made me smile, all warm and fuzzy. And the words too.

But that particular song always gets to me... I am SUCH a dork I always get sappy when I watch Land Before Time and if I hear that song it just summons it all right up. If you don't cry watching that cartoon then it shouldn't bother you.

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Nah, I'd cry anyways, just thinking about some dear friends that left me WAY too young and even some old ones that had done their time makes me lose it... (if I don't quit I'm gonna do it to myself).

I peeked at it, didn't have the sound up because my speakers weren't working on my laptop so no sounds [​IMG] BUT that last image of the weiner dog... THAT did it.. I'm just a dog softie... nothing else can make me cry like dogs can.

8. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Haha I know, Disney has a hard time matching the deepness or emotion some of these non-disney cartoon. The soundtrack is almost prettier then the movie, its a shame though its out of print and nearly impossible to find other then a song or two here and there.

If anyone is interested I have the original WMV file of the first one, which the quality of is much better.

The little weiner dog Jimmie was an older cranky guy (who we had to muzzle if we ever needed to restrain him for shots or anything) who was kind of picked up along the way from a trip bringing back a bunch of dogs from down south. A young girl and her parents came to look at dogs and this grumpy little wiener dog's heart melts and he bonded instantly with her. Thankfully her mom agreed to bring him home after him growling at her when she got to close to them, which was actually kind of cute. Some dogs really do have a way of knowing and picking out who was meant for them.

9. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Beautiful pics of some very gorgeous dogs. It amazes me they were on death row, THANK YOU for bringing them out of the gloom and into a rich life! Brings this little story to mind:

A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.

She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”

The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied,

“Well, I made a difference to that one!”
    The old man looked at the girl inquisitively and thought about what she had done and said. Inspired, he joined the little girl in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved. - adapted from the Star Thrower by Loren C. Eiseley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by