What I did to ease my mind!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gvntofly05, Jan 3, 2010.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I have my LG still air on top of my dresser in my bedroom. The first couple of days, I found myself in there every hour checking temp. I was getting up a few times a night to check the temp. I have my bulb therm on top of the eggs reading 101*-101.5* and my digital therm/hygrometer on the mesh reading at 100*. Well I remembered I have an awesome digital probe therm. I checked it against some other therms I have, boiling water and ice, it is reading perfectly. I put the probe through the vent hole near the top of the eggs and it is reading at 101.3*.

Well since the digital part of the therm is on the outside of the incubator I positioned it so that I could see it from bed when I shine my little LED flashlight at it! Also it has a temp alarm on it. So I set the alarm for 102*. The alarm is loud enough that I can hear it throughout the house and it will wake me out of a sleep. Since I am home all the time I should be able to catch a temp spike it if were to occur and quick enough that it wouldn't do any damage! Now I can rest a little easier!

2. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    wow seems you got your bases covered! Good luck there! my present clutch is due Jan 16th!

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:Which one is this, that it has an alarm?

4. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    It a TempRite probe thermometer. It is actually for cooking meat, hence the alarm. I have never used it to cooking as I go by touch. Since it has proven itself to be accurate I figured I would use it in incubating, mainly for the alarm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by