What I found in the refrigerator--egg related

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by woodmort, Dec 14, 2011.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    First of all we have 3 full-sized refrigerators--one in the kitchen and two in the cellar. The second one was replaced by a built-in when remodeled the kitchen 15 yrs ago and the third I removed from my mother's house after she died. This last one sits way back in the cellar and is used primarily to store produce--it is full of apples, pears and eggs right now. The second, which is at the bottom of the stairs, is my "beer" refrigerator where I store my cold adult beverages--there is a few bottles of wine chilling down there too--but it is also the auxiliary kitchen refrig. (You won't believe how much food my DDs bring when they come to support their various diets.) Since the kids are coming for a week at Christmas I figured today would be a good time to rearrange stuff in this refrigerator--it is either that or my beers gets set aside and gets warm. As will be soon apparent, it has been a while since an extensive rearrangement had been done. While in the process of digging around in the back I found an Eggland's Best carton that was turned on its side with 6 eggs in it--white eggs.

Now we use old cartons to store eggs but given I've never kept chickens that lay white eggs--only brown and green/blue--these were obviously eggs we purchased at some point when I was raising up pullets and had no hens laying. Now my current flock as been laying since last fall but they replaced a flock that was 3 years old which meant the eggs either were purchased last summer or three years before that. Given the "Use Before" date was July '07 I guess the latter was the case. Figuring these eggs were well passed the point of being useful I figured to toss them to the birds but before I could my DW had to check them--she never throws out anything that is useful. She cracked one into a bowl. While it smelled ok, there was no discernible white/yolk, just a gelatinous mass. It and the other 5 eggs went into the chicken yard where they were eaten with relish. Just goes to show--eggs can be store, refrigerated for a long time but the results may not be eatable.

(Oh yeah, I also found a box of Pillsbury pie crust that expired in Jan. '09--that did not go to the chickens. We really should look behind stuff more often. The beer BTW is fresh--I might miss eggs but beer? never!)

2. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Quote:OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    I cleaned out Mom's fridge this summer and found a bottle of milk dated '07. It had swelled up to about 1 1/2 times it's normal size and the milk had neatly separated into a yellowish chunky looking layer on the bottom, a yellowish-greenish fluid in the middle and a very clear layer on top. Handled it like unexploded ordinance transporting it to the garbage can. Looked like it could go off at any time. I hate wasted food, but have always had a morbid fascination with refrigerator science experiments.

We bought our current house as a forclosure and they left a fridge full of goodies inside for us. Stupid property maintenance company for the bank wasn't very smart apparently. They also didn't drain the pipes before winter. Only had to replace joints though thanks to shoddy soldering on the original install.

For a guy who couldn't afford his house payment, he sure had expensive taste in food. Shrimp, organic wild salmon, lamb, exotic mushrooms, stuff i wish I could afford. Over 8 months it had devolved into a brownish sludge that seeped out onto the linoleum. Talk about a bad first impression to potential buyers-the kitchen area smelled literally of death. Worked out for us though, we got the house cheap, dragged the fridge outside and after a summer of insects doing what they do and a couple of hours with the pressure washer I got my beer fridge IN THE BARN.

Sounds like you need to spend more time drinking beer woodmort. Nothing goes un noticed in my beer fridge! (turnover rate too high)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Hahah! Love it!

Makes me want to go inspect our beer fridge downstairs...although it's turnover rate is high as well, it doesn't get cleaned very often! ....(ok.., never)

[​IMG]

5. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:The problem is that the beer is always in front--as it should be--everything else gets pushed to the back.

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    You need to invite the girls home more often. [​IMG]

7. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Actually they're the worst offenders, they take the beer out, put their stuff in and push everything else to the back. When they leave I have to restock and the stuff in the back gets hidden further.

8. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Quote:I feel so at home! My DH does the exact same thing. [​IMG]

ETA: This is in the main "kitchen" refrigerator. The beer-erator in the garage has eggs, veggies from the garden and the extra 2 gallons of milk that don't fit into in the kitchen. The beer only gets one shelf [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Quote:Actually they're the worst offenders, they take the beer out, put their stuff in and push everything else to the back. When they leave I have to restock and the stuff in the back gets hidden further.

I have been known to remove all of the condiments to stuff in garden produce. I am pretty sure we have antique condiments.
    It's time for you to start home brewing Mort. Seal the refrigerator put a lock on it, and just put the tap through to the out side of the door.
    Red Green had a great do it yourself along those lines. [​IMG]

10. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Our beer fridge is a homemade contraption with the big keg of homemade beer in and taps on the door. It is avacado green. [​IMG]

I always find shriveled up teeny carrots stuffed in the back of my fridge and jam. About 6 jars of opened jam. I blame the kids. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by