What I love the most about my chickens ...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by krista74, Aug 24, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Just curious as to what people enjoy about their chickens the most?

Me, I love the smell of their coop when I change out the hay on the floor each week. The fresh smell, the clean feeders and water, the fluffed up nest boxes, and the little treats I leave them on my way out. It reminds me of a chicken hotel!

I also love looking out the kitchen window to see a bunch of fuzzle-butts, front ends down and foraging for yummy bugs and grubs.

I love the way that, when I walk across to the coop in the late afternoon, I can hear a whole lot of tiny feet running along behind me in anticipation of the handful of wheat they will get before going to bed for the night!

I love their quiet chatter as they organise their roosting spots at dusk, and listening to them croon to themselves when they lay.

Most of all I love them when they (finally) let me give them a nice little pat while they sit in their egg-laying doze.

They are so lovely to own!

- Krista

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. Meeka3

Meeka3 Chillin' With My Peeps

I love their quirky little personalities, each one is different. The way they peck my clothes when I'm weeding the garden, and the one that flies onto my back every time I bend over. I have another one who has low vision and doesn't run with the pack, and she follows me around like a little puppy dog, sometimes running into my foot when I stop. Mainly I just love watching them being free to roam and scratch in the dirt the way all their instincts tell them to do right from a very early age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by