What i need to know before Breeding Polish bantams?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by foxypoproxy, Sep 24, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    OK, so in the spring i would like to breed my white crested black polish bantams.
    I "eventually" want to breed them and sell them as show birds and pets.
    I don't show chickens myself but it would be useful for me to breed show quality ones so people will actually have a use and want to buy them (since they don't have a very good egg production and not many people just have "pet" chickens)

I am new to polish bantams, i have one polish cockerel right now and planning on getting a polish hen/s soon (i have a mixed flock right now that are my pets).
    I know i am a noob to breeding chickens, so i'm not planning on jumping right into selling without knowing what i'm doing.
    I know lots of people work very hard to breed in and out the right colors and traits they want and i very much respect that.
    I'm hoping that experience breeders can give me advice on how they started and what i should be doing or thinking about.
    I've been reading many books and planning on getting some books on chicken genetics.

Maybe you guys can take a gander at my polish and let me know if he has any good breed-able traits or would make good show bird babies?
    If you would like to see pictures let me know. (can't show polish hen pictures yet because I'm waiting to get her.)

So i have a couple questions:

What are people looking for in a show quality bantam polish?

I heard that blue and splashed are diluted color of black, so would it be ok to breed a white crested blue hen with a white crested black roo? (i know i will get a mixture of blacks, blue and splash. But i would like to know if the offspring will be accepted as "standard" or "approved" colors for showing?

Is it difficult to sell polish?

If any one has any comments or suggestions feel free!
    I am open for any feedback or criticism.
    Like i said, I'm not trying to jump into this, I'm planning as much as i can and would like to be a responsible breeder and chicken owner.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by