What I should feed for my mixed flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Buckeye11, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Buckeye11

Buckeye11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Southern Ohio
    First time raising chickens and I decided to buy mixed breeds to get duals and layers. Well all the chickens are 19 weeks old and 7 out of 20 are roosters. Well I have marans, araucanas, orpingtons and wyandottes. Some of the hens will be laying soon but the araucanas are still months away from laying.

What feed should I be feeding for week 20? Should I just give them a container of oyster shells so the hens have some calcium with the grower feed? When should the araucanas be given layer? I should be fine with giving the roosters layer in a month, right?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    A lot of people with mixed flocks never feed Layer, they just feed some sort of All-Ages or Flock Raiser type food (they are usually around 18% protein) and just have oyster shell on the side for the layers. Besides Layer with the added calcium, most chicken feeds are pretty similar except for the protein percentage. I personally feed a 20% pellet from a local mill that I cut with grain if I want to lower the protein % for some birds.

3. Buckeye11

Buckeye11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Southern Ohio
    Well can't do the flock raiser because the organic mill I buy from is grower and layer. I was just thinking of getting them layer since I have read that the layer won't do much harm to the roosters or hens that are over 18 weeks. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with what I'm dealing with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by