WHAT I THOUGHT I HAD A GOOD MONTH STILL! uhhg!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Evelle, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    so i woke up this morning and tons of white (almost snow looking) frost was all over the ground.. everyones water was frozen solid and it was SOOOO COLD!!!
    URRGGG i thought i had a good 4 or more weeks before the water started to freeze [​IMG] [​IMG]
    im so not ready i still need to get warming bucket for the chickens and lights and a deicer for the goats and still need to figure out how to keep water from freezing for the ducks.
    OMG!! talk about panic mode i dont get payed til thursday!!
    this is the first year for multipule barns and i dont have electricity for anyof them i might just have to run mutipule extention cords all over [​IMG] shoot!!
    now to keep goats warm i thing just a great big thing of grass hay in there bed should help a little more.. and drop a de icer thing in the trough UHHGGG i need to clean it out first!!
    ducks im going to get one of those rubber tubs to fill with water twice a day maybe build an igloo with the ice blocks that form [​IMG] [​IMG]
    and chickens is the easyest i think ill just get a warming chicken water-er.
    WHY IM I NOT PREPARED!! im always prepared!! [​IMG]
    here here for PROCRASTINATION!! [​IMG]

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Hang in there, it'll get better each year. Be careful not to overload your circuits in the house with too many heater buckets. It may be different with the small ones but with the big ones for horses the max I can put in an outlet is 2, after that it gets very tricky. It is best to use 1 heater bucket in 1 outlet IMHO.

3. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Come on, unless you live in Antarctica, you have nothing to worry about. Animals are amazing!

4. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:hahahaha nice one [​IMG] '
    i live close to... (north idaho and when i say north i mean i can walk to canada [​IMG])
    i know that animals are amazing but we drop in temps alot last year over a few times we dropped 13 below zero kids stayed home and it was recomended people whom work outside did go that day with wind chill you could get frost bite in 2 min.
    and i know once it starts snowing i wont get all that i want done.. done [​IMG]

5. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:thank you for that i had no clue [​IMG] i might have to put them in differant circits then.. [​IMG]
    i have goats that the waters freezing and i keep braking the ice with a pick..

6. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:thank you for that i had no clue [​IMG] i might have to put them in differant circits then.. [​IMG]
    i have goats that the waters freezing and i keep braking the ice with a pick..

Your best venue might be to tie into circuits in the house if you do need so many outlets. You’ll need extension cords though and you better be very careful when you snowplow over them. We are having all of our conduit in the barn replaced next year and will add new circuits. That will change things for the better. I would use heated buckets only unless absolutely needed. If there is just a thin layer of ice (> 1 in) on the water I just open it up with my boot. My electricity bill thanks me and the horses have never suffered. The chicken ones never froze all year but we have an insulated house with many chickens and the occasional heat lamp where needed. Good luck with your goats!

7. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Tahnk You :d

8. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    No problem. Feel free to always ask. Much better than an electrical fire [​IMG]

9. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:OH HECK YEAH!! that would be scary and my house would go up like a paper towel [​IMG]

10. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:OH HECK YEAH!! that would be scary and my house would go up like a paper towel [​IMG]

Same here. 100 year old wooden dairy barn [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by