1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What I thought were Cochins are actually Blue Marans. Any thoughts on Gender or just breed info?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by murmagmazy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. murmagmazy

murmagmazy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    Ive done research on the other breeds I have, as far as sexing, but ive never even heard of this breed. Now at 4 weeks, when these two babies are looking obviously different from my other cochins, I finally contacted the breeder with pictures only to find out that she accidentally gave me 2 blue marans with the group. Any thoughts on sex? These guys are 4 weeks yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Im just not sure whether to return them and get the cochins I paid for, or take a chance with this breed? We love on our babies daily, and these guys seems fine with letting me pick them up. My kids are insisting we keep them, but Ive found very little about their personalities online.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Mandy

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They will probably going to be very friendly personable chickens since you are spending a lot of time with them. The "WOW" effect you will experience when their first egg appears in the nest is going to be remembered for a long time. I love my "chocolate" eggs!

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Marans are a dual breed, there's some threads on them in the "breeds, genetics and showing" section in the main forum on byc. You will see a difference in comb and wattle size from the males to the females by 2 to 3 months old. Males will get decently bigger comb/wattles than the pullets by 2 to 3 months. The roosters are like the hens and tend to be very docile. Good luck with them.

4. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    If I were in your shoes, I would keep them. Just my opinion...
    Marans are a lovely, rare and magnificent breed. They can be expensive, especially when from quality bloodlines, and they lay such beautiful dark eggs. They can even be bred with blue egg layers to make olive egg layers! These guys aren't puffy or round as Cochins. But, they are a solid bodied, dual purpose bird with beautifully colored, silky soft feathers. Even the hens have very pretty coloring.

Both of our FBCM roos are exceptionally sweet, and don't mind being held or petted, and are some of the prettiest chickens to look at. They are SO good with their girls. As a group, I feel the breed is very docile, mellow- and not very noisy- compared to our RIR, who "talk" ALL the time. lol. (Those guys crow all day, starting at 3 am.) That said, the FBCM roos only crow a few times in the morning, plus maybe once or twice during the day. Not much, but they are loud, distinct crows. One of the roos are only 6 months old, but he looks masculine, fully feathered in and very solid. He is mating the hens, crowing and doing his roosterly duties exceptionally well. All of his ladies like him.

As for feather growth, we have a 7 month old Partridge Cochin too, and he is still even now, growing in his big boy feathers, so he has half a tail. He's starting to look pretty, fluffy and round, but has a long way to go still in the feathering-in department. He has only one (failed) attempted mating that we know of... then, the hen beat him up afterward. He has never crowed yet, only have heard a few cluck sounds. Docile, but not especially friendly like the Marans group. He will do anything he can to avoid being held- even being bribed with treats. Once he's being held, he will tolerate petting though. lol Amazing forager when freeranging. Smart. He runs everywhere. The Marans seem more sociable, and enjoy hanging out with company. He stands in front of the Marans run and moons at the Marans hens like he's lovesick. lol Just my thoughts...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    They both look like pullets to me. I have found in this breed the roosters tend to show them selves with large combs even as early as 2-3 weeks old.

I LOVE Marans and you probably will too. The hens are friendly and very outgoing and the roosters(atleast in my experience) are super sweet and laid back. And you just cant beat the eggs, dark chocolate-brick red colored eggs, to die for.

6. murmagmazy

murmagmazy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    I have been out in the coop messing with them all morning, and we are definitely going to keep them. They even seem sweeter than my cochin babies. I cant wait for them to get bigger, and im so hoping they are pullets!!

Mandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by