What I want for Christmas

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, Dec 20, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

What do I want for Christmas?
    NOTHING!, and I'm dead serious.
    Anne and I both feel the same way. Like so many senior citizens, over the years we've accumulated more "stuff" than we need. If anything, we wish someone would come and haul away a big part of it.
    For each other and our children for Christmas we pay for operations on a couple of children throughout the world who have cleft palates. We give our friends/relatives restaurant gift certificates.

I try to make it known that I prefer not getting anything that's not consumable by being eaten or drunk, preferably a bottle of good booze for the bar.

I think a large percentage of senior citizens would feel the same way I do, preferring special foods (preferably homemade) or drinks. Our houses and closets are already too full as it is.

EDIT: Should I have signed this "The Grinch"?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Agreed. There is really nothing I want. I been giving a lot though. Christmas is really about spending time with the people you love (or hate).

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I used to give my grandmother coupons for visits and house or yard work.

Maybe you can suggest that to your kids etc who want to give you something. Or encourage them to buy an animal (livestock) in your name....

4. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I wish my kids would be me animals lol.
    I did ask for a Christmas gift this year. Just one. A Kitchen Aid mixer. DH also went the extra step and bought extra attachments for it because he knows that everything on that sucker'll get used. That was my wish. Something that will be used consantly and not have to be regifted because its usless in the first place.

5. joebryant

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I used to give my grandmother coupons for visits and house or yard work.

Maybe you can suggest that to your kids etc who want to give you something. Or encourage them to buy an animal (livestock) in your name....

You're right, and last year one of them (s or d, can't remember which, donated to the Heifer program, can't remember what animal though... getting senile I guess).
    My daughter gave Anne a turtle that's someplace (?) for her birthday. Anne receives monthly email pictures and reports of how it's doing. Now that's a fun gift, especially since Anne collects turtle's made of all kinds of things when we're traveling.​

6. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Quote:My mother asked me not to exchange gifts.. it's true she has everything and when I buy her something she's usually unhappy. SO it's better this way I guess.

7. joebryant

Quote:My mother asked me not to exchange gifts.. it's true she has everything and when I buy her something she's usually unhappy. SO it's better this way I guess.

Betcha she'd be glad to get some special cheese, etc. or a good bottle of gin, etc.

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Or a promise to take her to dinner or be the one who rakes the leaves, or washes her car..... There are many tasks that I bet she wold love not to have to ask you to do.

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Give Anne a special letter thanking her for the years you have spent together, and how wonderful it has been........with a few rose petals thrown in the envelope......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by