What If A Hen Ate A Piece Of Metal The Size Of A Staple??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Sep 8, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have a BA pullet of 26 weeks old that I have been treating with a sour crop for 3 1/2 days now with no improvement. The crop is not impacted as she is pooping although she is eating very little. (only bread drenched in yogurt is all she will eat).

Anyway, just this evening I found a few tiny pieces of metal that had fallen off a piece of 1/4 inch hardware cloth that I use to keep the chickens out of the green house. I guess the door I use to jam this piece of cloth in has been rubbing on the edges, fraying this wire and I found 2 tiny pieces of it laying on the ground this evening. About the size of a small staple.

Now up till now, I have had no idea what gave her this sour crop. There is not a single blade of grass to be had in their 20'x30' space. No poisonous plants, nothing. There was some grass hay around, but not much of it.

So now I am freaked out that maybe she ate a tiny piece of wire!! Could this be causing her sour crop or could this wire pass thru her? I have no idea if she did in fact eat any wire, but I am just worried and curious to know if it MIGHT pass thru her if she did. She is not yet improving much from 3 1/2 days of Probiotics, yogurt, ACV in the water, "vomiting" and rest.

Thanks,
    One worried Momma,
    -Leyla

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually, what they can swallow will pass through. Of course, the danger with something like this is puncture of the intestine. Nothig=ng you can do about it, anyway. If she were eating well I'd suggest something like bread that might cushion the end, so perhaps it's a good thing she is taking bread.

Good luck with her!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:This morning she was not so good. She refused any bread with her treatment of bread drenched with yogurt, so I called the vet. She said to bring her on in and she would work her into her schedule this morning. So my Molly is there now and I am waiting for a call from the vet. She is going to suck the crud out of her crop and if Molly is in bad shape, she is going to keep her over night. So I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I know how quickly sour crop can kill a bird. I told the vet to keep an eye out for a piece of hardware cloth in the crop. [​IMG]

Thanks for the response and a hopeful out look if she possibly did swallow something bad for her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by