1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What if another chick is "helping" NEW PICS! Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Sheriff, Nov 8, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    My little guy who hatched this morning has been working an getting another one out! It pipped the same time as he did, about twelve hours ago then nothing else. The egg does rock slightly every few minutes. He keeps pecking at the pip and now he has opened up a hole. Should I get the helper out of there and into the brooder? He hatched about 3:30 this afternoon. There is one other hatched chick in there but he is behaving. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

So he pecked and pecked and removed shell and tore the membrane:

[​IMG]

Then the little guy starting bleeding. This picture was just the beginning. We ended up with a small puddle of blood under the egg.

[​IMG]

I had to intervene. The membrane was stuck like wallpaper to the little guy and blood was running from his bottom. I got him out of the shell very gently and found the source of the bleeding.

[​IMG]

I tried putting flour on it at first but he was squirming and the flour got all over him and still he was bleeding. Then I remembered I had a tube of "MY Nick Is Sealed" upstairs. It is used for nicks you get when shaving your legs. I ran up and got that and put it on the spot and the bleeding stopped immediately. I wrapped him in a warm, dry washcloth and put him back in the empty LG bator. Sorry about the flash.

[​IMG]

He and I went to sleep at 4:00 a.m., me in my recliner and the bator right next to me. He was loud and chirpy several times during the night but there was no more bleeding. The flour mixed with the slime on him turned into a real gunky mess but he made it through the night.

Here he is this morning in the brooder box with the guys who helped him hatch! [​IMG] This morning he is still a goopy, dried flour mess but he is alert, drank water and pooped a little watery yellow poo.

[​IMG]

I don't think he is out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination. I only put him in the brooder because the LG won't heat above 88 degrees this morning and I didn't want to put him in the Hobavator with the five eggs on lockdown waiting to hatch. I already compromised them but opening the bator to rescue this guy. They have fresh water and Chick saver in the broder and I sprinkled some ground chick starter on the bottom to give them something to peck at besides the new guy!

Anyway, any words of encouragement, advice, even admonishments would be appreciated. I'm a nurse, we can't let ANYTHING bleed to death!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
  2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i wouldnt open the bator, unless that egg starts bleeding i would let it be

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Day old chicks do lots of pecking, like to eyes, but it is out of curiosity and doesn't normally do any damage. I would leave them be and the next one should hatch just fine being encouraged by the first hatcher. The first hatcher probably wants to be with other chicks so is with the one closest to hatching.

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

well, as long he isn't practicing any art of soccer then it will be safe to let him inside waiting his pals. [​IMG]

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Ok, now it's several hours later. He is active, drinking and sleeping off and on. Here is what his little bum looks like this morning. The dark red area is where he was bleeding and I applied the coagulant.

[​IMG]

Then he did a second yellow watery poo of the day. This time on my mouse pad!

[​IMG]

So I know for sure he isn't plugged up. But, do I try to clean him up some or leave him alone. This is my first time with a preemie and I really need some advice. Should I get Pedialyte, add ACV to the drinking water. Ploy-visol without iron? WHAT?

Thanks if you can help. If he's a boy his name is King Arthur in honor of the flour dusting he got last night and I guess if he's a girl she's Bea Arthur! I just hope the little thing makes it. He is so sweet.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like an unhealed naval, which often occurs if they pop out a few hours too early. The blood is also a result of coming out too early as it didn't have time to bring it all into it's body. At least the yolk sac was adsorbed. You can try and wipe off the gunk from the chick with a damp towel. No need to give anything other than fresh water and food as the yolk inside the chick will give it energy for the first few days.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I gotta tell ya, Warden, it looks like they were plannin' a "breakout!" [​IMG]

OK, on a serious note. I have had a couple like that. The area quickly dried up, and they were ok. The difference being, mine did not loose blood before coming out.
    I hope the area dries up quickly, and is well. [​IMG] Good luck!

8. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Planning, are you kidding me??? They executed the diabolical plan. Their punishment is they got moved out of the cozy climate controlled Hobavator into a blue recycle bin with a red heat lamp!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. We had another catastrophe today. I went out to buy a second heat lamp so we could have one on the silkie brooder and another on the recycle bin. While I was gone, the sole heat lamp bulb burned out. My husband found the new babies cold and shivering. The little preemie was soaking wet, having picked that exact moment to lay down in the water dish, which luckily was just a lid with about 1/2 inch of water! So when I got home hubby had him wrapped in a napkin and was huddling him next to a 60 watt ceramic heat bulb. He said he panicked and just thought, "what would a broody do?" and followed his instincts. [​IMG]

Well, right now everyone has a heat lamp set for the appropriate temperature for their age and everyone is fed, watered, and sleeping. Ironically the question of whether or not I should bathe him is moot. He took the initiative to make the decision himself. He did a great job to. Look how fluffy he looks!

[​IMG]

And here are the masterminds of the plot:

[​IMG]

Nothing today from the OEG's in the bator on Day 22, not a pip. I have three more on day 19.

Whew, I need some normalcy and some sleep tonight!

Mary

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Planning, are you kidding me??? They executed the diabolical plan. Their punishment is they got moved out of the cozy climate controlled Hobavator into a blue recycle bin with a red heat lamp!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. We had another catastrophe today. I went out to buy a second heat lamp so we could have one on the silkie brooder and another on the recycle bin. While I was gone, the sole heat lamp bulb burned out. My husband found the new babies cold and shivering. The little preemie was soaking wet, having picked that exact moment to lay down in the water dish, which luckily was just a lid with about 1/2 inch of water! So when I got home hubby had him wrapped in a napkin and was huddling him next to a 60 watt ceramic heat bulb. He said he panicked and just thought, "what would a broody do?" and followed his instincts. [​IMG]

Well, right now everyone has a heat lamp set for the appropriate temperature for their age and everyone is fed, watered, and sleeping. Ironically the question of whether or not I should bathe him is moot. He took the initiative to make the decision himself. He did a great job to. Look how fluffy he looks!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34566_fall-22.jpg

And here are the masterminds of the plot:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34566_fall-21.jpg

Nothing today from the OEG's in the bator on Day 22, not a pip. I have three more on day 19.

Whew, I need some normalcy and some sleep tonight!

Mary

Oh, good heavens! What else could possibly happen? No, don't ask! Murphy's law ... (yea, LAW) LOL ...
    Gotta name him/her Murphy! I would say hubby did a great job! Any kind of light bulb has heat, and will help in a pinch. Tell him body heat works well also. He could put on a bra and carry it around that way! (WELL, it WOULD work!) [​IMG]

I am sure you are nearing exhaustion. I just finished my 3 part staggered hatch, and am finally able to catch some sleep! I hope you can, soon, also. I can certainly relate! Good luck, Warden!

ETA: That's some pretty severe punishment you are sentencing them to!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  10. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Oh, that turned out well!! Good job, and those are some really cute babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by