What if eggs freeze

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by polychickens, Oct 29, 2007.

1. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    I feel like an idiot for asking this, but what happens if eggs freeze in the winter before they are collected?

We check for eggs several times per day, but surely many will freeze hard as a rock when it really gets cold here. How do you all deal with that?

Thanks!
    Poly
    Not planning to heat the hen haus

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've been wondering the same thing! I work full time, and cannot check my nest boxes until about 5:30 p.m.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I don't know for sure, but I am thinking if they freeze that you could gather them up and set them out on your counter. Let them come up to room temperature and they should be fine. (guess you could test it out by putting one in your own freezer) [​IMG]

4. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    There is not alot of "free" space inside an egg. I would think there would be a good possibility of an egg busting open if it froze.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    They do crack open when they freeze, messy situation. [​IMG]
    The only thing you can really do is to add heat or collect them several times a day.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, the eggs will crack when they freeze, however it isn't a messy situation because the inside is aready gelling and expanding looking for a place to go. I collect as often as possible and always kept and ate any eggs that weren't cracked and possibly collecting bacteria from the nest. Those eggs were always fryed and fed back to the hens, so nothing is wasted.....[​IMG]

bigzio

7. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    the eggs will freeze causing the same effect as a completly filled bottle it will explode and oozing out and create a mess aka the shell crack yet really doesnt exploted but leakes it all out

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They will crack when frozen, but I find my nest hutch is warmer then other places (since it is on the ground) and so even if it is freezing all day, the eggs are very cold, but have not frozen and broke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by