1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What if I cross my Light Sussex Roo with....Update***

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lizrndiver, Dec 29, 2010.

1. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    My Light Sussex Hen died and I want to hatch some general purpose mutts from what I have on hand.

I have a Light Sussex Roo and could hatch eggs from:

Buff Orpington
    Buff Sussex
    EE's
    Barred Rock
    Wheaton Marans
    Welsummer
    Cinnamon Queen
    Black Sex Link

Any idea what these crosses might yield?

I'm wondering about colors and egg color/productivity.

Thanks,

Liz

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Crossing him with these hens :

Buff Orpington
    Buff Sussex
    Wheaton Marans
    Welsummer
    Cinnamon Queen

Would all give about the same thing in the first generation, Silver Columbian pullets like the Light Sussex rooster and cockerels that are split for both silver and gold genes so they would like similar to the hens but would have some gold coming through too. Crossing to the Buff Sussex would be your best bet as that would give you more pure Light Sussex hens that you could breed back to your roo and go from there with pure Lights.

The Barred Rocks hens crossed with him would give Sexlinks, Barred males and Black females.

Its hard to say what you will get from crossing with the EEs and BSLs becuase they are mixed colors themselves.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Light Sussex x Buff Orpington = Offspring should be sex-linked Males yellow/golden columbian, Females silver columbian.

Light Sussex x Buff Sussex = Offspring should be sex-linked Males yellow/golden columbian, Females silver columbian.

Light Sussex x EE's Hard to say not knowing the color of the EE.

Light Sussex x Barred Rock = Offspring should be sex-linked Males barred, Females Black.

Light Sussex x Wheaton Marans = Offspring should be sex-linked Males yellow/golden columbian, Females silver columbian.

Light Sussex x Welsummer = Offspring should be sex-linked Males yellow/golden columbian, Females silver columbian (I believe).

Light Sussex x Cinnamon Queen = Offspring should be Males yellow/golden columbian (with black tails and with white tails and gold leaking in the hackles) Females cream columbian (with black tails and with white tails and gold leaking in the hackles).

Light Sussex x Black Sex Link = Offspring should be mostly all black but you might also get yellow/golden columbian Males and silver columbian Females along with the blacks.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:The yellow color wouldnt come in until the birds are feathered out so the chicks wouldnt be able to be sexed by color and by the time it does come in, the comb should be starting to get bigger to be a giveaway for the males. That only works with a gold roo on Silver hens to sex as dayolds.

5. lizrndiver

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    Thanks for the info. I'm not worried about sexing them. I just wondered what they would look like. I wasn't sure if I could breed back Buff Sussex Cross chicks to get more lights or not.

Maybe I will just try a few of each and see what I get for fertility and colors. Could be a fun project while I wait for some new Sussex to breed.

Liz

6. lizrndiver

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    I set 19 mixed brown eggs from my hens and 5 blue eggs on a day that all of my EE's laid.

I hatched out 15 of the mixed brown and all 5 of the EE's.

I know that most of you predicted that I would end up with a bunch of either gold or silver Colombian looking chickens.

Well my chicks are 3 weeks old now and starting to feather out. As chicks I had a range of yellow from pale to neon to gold. I have black, chipmunk, buff, blue, and I have one yellow and one black with feathered feet.

Now as they are losing their fluff, I still have some that are all buff, some that look like buff with Colombian, silver Colombian, partridge, black black barred with very wide spacing between the bars.

I will post some pictures. this will be interesting.

Liz

7. tlb796

tlb796 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Portland
    I'm interested in the Buff Sussex cross. Could the Light Sussex be used to increase size in the Buff? Or would that just be
    opening a can of worms in future generations? What about Red Sussex?

8. NFlaGator

NFlaGator Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Newbie here. What are EE's?

9. tlb796

tlb796 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Portland
    Easter Eggers. Sometimes sold as Ameraucanas by hatcheries. They can lay bluish, greenish or tan coloured eggs.
    They are not a true breed.

10. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    lets see some pictures of the babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by