what if I get more Roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crzychicken, Feb 5, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I'm thinking about getting 2 new roos. I have 23 hens and 1 silkie roo, should I move him to his own coop wih his silkie girls and let them all out together during the day? I don' want him to get beaten or killed by the bigger Roos. The New Roos I plan on getting in late April wih my new 21 chicks.
    I'll have a total of 44 hens. 3 roos
    I'm new to chickens and rooster behavior.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    In my experience with Silkie roos, it's more the bigger roos that you will want to be concerned about! [​IMG]

My previous Silkie roo kicked my Welsummers tail, literally! I had to rehome him, as we was so aggressive towards my new Welsummer roo. It sounds like he rules the roost where he is at now too. So... For the protection of the new roos, I would put the Silkie in with his hens. [​IMG]

3. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    WOW he's so small and cute the big girls just throw him around It's funny to watch him they will see him coming and run or he will try to jump them and they will throw him off.. like get away from me my white leghorns run like crazy away from him.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My Silkie roo might have been an exception to the rule, be he is all sass I tell you! [​IMG] The girls didn't have much respect for him, be he demands it from the roos. [​IMG]

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Having them separated should work good for you. Although my roos are not the norm, they are best buddies and actually hangout together, I have them separated only because I wanted pure bred babies. They grew up together and established who was the boss early on. If you put the silkie with his girls and introduce a new roo to the rest of the group, they should be fine. It might be better that way anyway. When I got my cochin roo, I was told to put him in with the older flock of girls so he would learn respect. I did to an extent. I didn't want them to hurt him..he was still really young, but they eventually they figured out that he was Mr. Lover Boy once he matured and they fell in love with him..lol.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by