What if i pluck 'em now and gut 'em later?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PunkinPeep, Jan 14, 2011.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It looks like i am about to do some butchering by myself (ug), and i would like to do the outside part (the killing and plucking) and then take a whole bunch of birds inside and do the gutting all at once.

I know i will be dealing with rigor, but is there any other reason not to do it this way. It's cold outside, so it won't be hard to keep them chilled. If i kill and pluck today and gut tomorrow, will it make my meat smell like poop or anything horrible like that?

Just trying to simplify the process.

Thanks for your thoughts. [​IMG]

2. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    I don't think it should be much of an issue if you get them chilled right away.
    Make shure the internal temp is no more than 40 deg.

I think it would be best to get the cavity cleaned out asap, it is easier to clean a warm bird
    as opposed to a large amount of chilled birds.

just my .02

3. kristim23

kristim23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    How many birds are you talking about, and how long will it be between the plucking/gutting?
    (edited to add)
    SORRY! Missed that part! I would definetly clean them out while they are warm. I think it's better safe than sorry!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:That's a really good point. I just so hate doing the whole process over and over by myself. I'm conflicted. Thanks for your thoughts. [​IMG]

5. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Well, i was kind of thinking it would be however many i can get done before i go to bed - so probably no more than ten. I was kind of thinking of plucking this evening and gutting in the morning. [​IMG]

6. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Quote:Well, i was kind of thinking it would be however many i can get done before i go to bed - so probably no more than ten. I was kind of thinking of plucking this evening and gutting in the morning. [​IMG]

Not always, but sometimes... What would your reaction be when you cut open the bird's cavity in the morning, remove it's guts, only to discover that the meat inside has turned to a putrid green color?

7. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas

Not always, but sometimes... What would your reaction be when you cut open the bird's cavity in the morning, remove it's guts, only to discover that the meat inside has turned to a putrid green color?

[​IMG] ew. That's what i want to know. Is that a possibility? Why would that happen?

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I think you are asking a very good question.

When I am alone, I will do two - pluck and then gut later. I am not too worried about internal temp - as long as the outer is starting to cool.

Think about duck or goose hunters. They spend all day hunting and then process that evening or the next day. (remember a couple years ago - the duck found alive in the fridge after 2 days?)

Here is a little article about the Florida duck - Perky http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6309159.stm

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  9. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Never tried it, but personally I wouldn't do it, especially overnight unless it's your only option. To me it's just not worth the risk. Who knows what those crazy bacteria would do with an extended amount of time to reproduce.

10. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Also a good point. I think i may stick to doing one or two at a time and hope that my husband is here tomorrow to help me do the rest. It's just so much faster and easier that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by