What if it pipped but there's no peeping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Meara, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    If it pipped last night but no progress and no peeping or moving then is the chick dead? Do I go in? I've held off because last time I felt like I intervened too soon. But no peeping at all seems like a very bad sign [​IMG] I wonder how many people have heart attacks or nervous breakdowns brought on by egg incubating? [​IMG]

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Ohh I know how you feel. I was expecting to hear mine peeping from inside the eggs and never did. They also didn't peep all the much when they did pip externally. I would wait a full 24 hours before doing anything. They can take a long time to hatch.

Thankfully I was at work for most of mine hatching so I had no choice but to not interfere with the process .

3. Meara

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    I candled that egg and no movement inside so carefully opened at the top in the air cell. It was dead. It had pipped and I happen to know that egg got rolled after it pipped and I think it got liquid in its nose when the egg rolled and the chick drowned. [​IMG]

4. StarStruck203

StarStruck203 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    so sad [​IMG] im sorry.

and about the whole, how many people have heart attacks and nervous breakdowns, i feel like im about to have a breakdown.

iv been so excited and ready for some chicks, but i just candled and i had like 8 clears, and 3 that showed no veins /out of 12 eggs. its depressing... [​IMG]

5. pistol123

pistol123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    Is that what can happen, another chick bumps the egg and rolls it then they drown, oh now I'll worry. 22 more to go and the first one is bumping eggs!!! I'm sorry for your loss of chicks.....it is nerve wracking.

6. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:Thats not really how it works. If you are worried about them getting bumped around just use an egg carton with the bottoms cut out and hatch them in that. They wont get tossed around the bator as much.

Some chicks just don't hatch. Some just arnt strong enough and others have some type of defect that wouldn't survive outside of its shell if it did make it out. I had two of my 7 that didn't hatch. One was the one I was sure was going to hatch first. But never did internally pip and the other died right at or before lock down.

Sometimes these things just happen.

Sorry for you loss of the baby please don't beat yourself up over it. [​IMG]

7. Meara

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    These are shipped eggs and I knew they had funky air cells that made them more fragile during the hatching process. Most of them are actually being hatched upright in egg cartons, but this one wasn't. I lost nine chicks during my last hatch which was my first time and I was REALLY upset about it. I still feel like all nine could have made it if I had known what I was doing. I actually drowned one that had pipped by misting it. I had no clue that the mist would drown it, duh. I just did not think it through. There's a real learning curve, but it's tragic that little innocent chicks die as part of that learning process [​IMG]

8. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    If you want to lay your eggs down just use the top of the egg carton and lay them in that. Place air holes in it for good circulation and if you have funky aircells that go down the side of the eggs use a pencil to trace them and make sure it is facing up. they will still be able to roll a little but not get rolled around as much. I plan on using this for my duck eggs seeing they have funky air cells too.

I have been following Petes threads about his birds and he has great advice.

9. pistol123

pistol123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    Oh heavens more to worry about, my gosh how does the mother hen ever hatch a chick!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by