1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What if you crossed..................

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mikeeeeeeeeee, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    A Barred rock roo with a RIR hen?
    I cannot imagine.
    Anyone?

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    some type of sex link? how about a white cubalaya roo with a brown red cubalaya hen?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You'd get chicks that all have barring, but some gold/red/straw in the hackles/chest area. Definitely not sexlinked. You must have RIR roo and BR hen to be sexlinked.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  4. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Mother Earth says:

In the cross made using the Rhode Island Red female and the Barred Rock male, both pullets and cockerels would be barred very much like Barred Plymouth Rocks. These pullets would also make good layers and would be a good choice. The cockerels from this cross grow exceedingly well and are a favorite of the broiler growers.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Chickngurl hatched some of the crosses from my Barred Rock rooster over various breeds, inc RIRs. She can show you pictures of them, I'm sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by