What if your back yard eggs got the "Cheerios" treatment by the FDA?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PacsMan, May 13, 2009.

1. PacsMan

PacsMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Salt Lake Valley
    [I'm not ~quite~ sure where to post this... so I'll try here]

I read last night and heard on the radio this morning that the FDA is all over General Mills about how it advertises lowering cholesterol.

My local radio station came up with a teaser saying, “A warning about Cheerios up next!” They then went on to show how… ‘bad’… Cheerios were. But the facts are that the FDA has a problem with how General Mills labels the cereal box, not with weather Cheerios lowers cholesterol or not. The media now portrays Cheerios as being a bad, evil thing.

They did the exact same thing with the “swine flu”… Oh, No! There are 2,000 cases of swine flu around the world, and 150 people world wide have died!! The facts are that 100 MILLION people just in the US get the ‘common’ flu every year, and 20,000 – 40,000 people die, just in the US of the common flu. Again, swine flu was a media sensation.

Now, off my soap box…

What would happen, or what would you do, if the FDA, the Obama administration, or some government agency came out and said that “back yard chicken eggs are bad for you”. And maybe they found one back yard chicken farmer who kept horrible conditions and people got sick. And say, even though for 99.9% of our eggs, the reports weren’t true, but the media grabbed on to this and it spread like wild fire. No one bought your eggs, and you were a pariah for being a chicken farmer… What would you do with your flock?

It’s just a little scary how much influence the media and government have in our lives…

What do you think?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I would show my customers the condition they are kept and what they are fed. There has been some news stories of people keeping birds in bad conditions and I think there was a ep on animal planet.

3. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    i eat cheerios.

4. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    me too..not everyday but..my cholestral is fine and

IT IS A FINE DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

Honey Nut, Frosted, or plain?

OP-- I'm not planning on selling eggs so I don't think something like that would ever happen to me... could be wrong though.

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'd build a barricade and a giant sling shot, then I'd shoot rotten eggs at Capitol Hill. Come to think of it, I may do that anyway. [​IMG]

7. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    i think i'd hop around for a while... then i'd sulk... and by that time the media would be on to something else. like you got kicked off Dancing with the Stars and everything would go back to normal.

what i'm worried about is how the national ID thing - think about how many magazines you get about livestock, using your bankcard at the feed store - i'm pretty sure they know exactly who has livestock without any registry.

back to hopping around - with a big ol' bowl of cheerios. ok i dont eat cheerios but i'm am eating a big bowl of granola + berries + home made goat yogurt!

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    If something like that happened, we'd be eating a lot of eggs here! We'd have to eat eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner since we wouldn't get rid of the chickens! [​IMG]

As for the media...well, news just isn't what it used to be.... *sigh*

9. PacsMan

PacsMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Salt Lake Valley
    Quote:Much less all those posts on BYC!! [​IMG]

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I feed Cheerios as treats to my birds.

Is that a double whammy?