What If.........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Sep 11, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    WHAT IF I LET MY CHICKENS FREE RANGE HOW DO I KNOW IF THEY WILL COME BACK TO THE COOP?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????PLEASE HELP............[​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I kept mine in the coop for a few days then let them out. At bedtime for the first few days i guided them back in. Now they go when it gets dusk by themselves. I just lock up

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Usually, chickens will come back, especially if there is food and water in the coop and they have known that area as home for a few weeks. How long have they stayed in the coop? My chickens actually like to sleep on the back of a bench that is right by our door to our backyard. I just wait until they all roost there, and go outside and put them up one by one. They are usually very easy to catch once they are roosting.

4. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    They Have Been There About A Week............[​IMG]

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I would let them out in the daytime and see what happens in the evening. Keep an eye on them of course since they are free ranging and keep their food and water in the coop, if there is a way for them to get back in.. Good luck, I hope this helps.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You can start by letting them out for a little while just before sundown so they don't go too far from the coop. They won't go too far, and will put themselves in for the night. Do this for a couple of nights, and if you can, keep letting them out earlier and earlier until they're out all day. I just kept mine in the coop/run for a week, let them out and they go back in on their own. They have done that from the first day I let them out.

7. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    thank you and god bless........

8. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    but what if my neighbor has chickens and lets them free range all the time............

9. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Here are the kids free ranging for the first time today. I did have a renegade turkey poult and peachick that got adventurous, but the EE roo took charge and gathered them back up again better than I ever could have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  10. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    thank you and god bless..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by