what illness does my flock have?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Spoiled Birds, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Spoiled Birds

Spoiled Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    i have been treating my flock for respiratory issues for about a month.
    the worst cases (swollen faces or weird breathing) have been getting Tylan-50 injections/
    well i could only find Tylan-200 the last time i went to the store.

what's the dose for it IF i can use it?
    not all my birds are sick not all have same symptoms not all in same coop

a few sounded like kazoo's 2 or 3 have had sneezes

1 Cuckoo and 4 Blk SL that grew up together got swollen faces and looked like UFC fighters ("Knock Out's" 1 eye was SCARY swollen over, better now)

1 didn't have a runny nose but sounded like a coffee pot perking

2 have had bubbles in the eye

the bad symptoms have cleared up but maybe 1/2 of the flock have runny noses, they eat and run around like usual.

i have read the symptoms of the respiratory illness's, and like i said each is different so i can't pin it down and say well crap my flock has such and such. its like they have a little of them all!!!

i just stopped putting the antibiotic Duramycin-10 in all the waters and will start probiotics and electrolytes today.
    Also what's the mix ratio on the Oxytetracycline antibiotic powder?

[​IMG]
    PLEASE HELP

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 200 is 4 times as strong as Tylan 50--Tylan 200 contains 200mg per ml, while Tylan 50 contains 50mg per ml. Duramycin 10 is tetracycline, not oxytetracycline, and mixing instructions are 2 tablespoonful per gallon of water for the maximum dose. Oxytetracycline mixing depends on the manufacturer and amount in grams. For the oxytetracycline in the picture below, mixing instructions ae 2 1/2 tablespoonsful per gallon of water. Getting a chicken tested or having a necropsy done on one by your state vet (who can tell you where to get testing) would be the best bet. Your symptoms sound like either MG or coryza. Coryza has a bad odor. This link has symptoms of both of those: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

[​IMG]

3. Spoiled Birds

Mar 14, 2014
    Virginia
    thank you. I wrote the names off of the packages. I couln't find another bag of the Duramycin so I bought the Oxytetracycline. I read the directions but it wasn't clear to me and I don't want to cause my guys to OD (that would just kill me). None of the guys have an odor to their breath or the nose drainage. thank you again. I'll return the Tylan 200 to another TS and hope they have the Tylan 50.

4. Spoiled Birds

Mar 14, 2014
    Virginia
    Quote: thanks

Is the only way to tell for sure if it's MG and not Coryza is to kill and test the chicken?
    Why does my entire flock not have any symptoms since it began a month ago (with "Pollux")??
    ((OH by the way he's been a constant companion to "Castor" and he's never showed any sickness))
    ((neither has "Apollo" or "Athena" and all 4 came from the same breeder))
    Is it too late to just kill the ones that have visible symptoms?
    Is just a snotty beak the same thing?
    Can you eat them if/when you kill them?
    Do you/should you kill them for/if it's either illness?
    This is so depressing! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    When "Pollux" first came down with the bubble eyes and I researched it I thought it may be MG, my hubby disagreed.
    He got better and then the others came down with different symptoms so I got side tracked and been busy with TLC.
    Sadly I guess I should have just put "Pollux" down like I figured.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can get a chicken tested with a blood test. Call your state vet and ask how to go about it, but your local vet may need to draw blood.. A recent poster only paid $1.50 a chicken to get them tested for MG in New Hampshire. They tested for Newcastles and Avian Influenza free. Here are a couple of links to help, or you can look up your state Dept. of Agriculture:
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
    http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

6. Spoiled Birds

Mar 14, 2014
    Virginia
    Thank you. Any answers or ideas to any of my questions while I check into the testing?

7. Spoiled Birds

Mar 14, 2014
    Virginia
    I just thought of something... BEFORE POLLUX SHOWED ANY SIGNS OF ILLNESS...
    could this have been where my trouble came from? :idunno. (The breathing and stunting are symptoms of MG also . I sat and thought and also observed each chickeen before letting them out this morning and made a list of noticeable symptommattic ones. I guess we unknowingly carried it on us from coop to coop to cage. I have at least 40 chickens with visable symptoms that I reckon need murdered (I'm sorry but the word CULL just seems too tame for what it really is) White Leghorn, 3 or 4 Gold Comets, 3 BlackSexlinks, 1 BJG, an Australorp pair, 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 juvinile BLUE LACED RED WYANDOTTE cockerel, an Ameracuna pair, 1 FRENCH BLUE COPPER MARANS stunted cockerel, 1 Speckled Sussex hen, Splash Orpington pair, 8 Buff Orpington hens, 1 BLUE ORPINGTON Roo, 1 Creel Blue/Buff Orpington roo, 1 Blue Splash OEGB hen, 2 Silver Duckwing OEGB hens, and 2 Transylvanian Naked Neck hens. This blows! :he :hit :rant :barnie

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Culling your chickens is a personal choice, but if mine had a respiratory disease that has spread through the flock, I would probably cull, clean and disinfect my coop and equipment, then wait several months before starting over with disease-free birds. But if I were you, I would get the sickest one tested by sending it in to the state vet to euthanize and necropsy. So sorry that you are dealing with this. It is pretty common for this to happen when we want different breeds of birds, and are getting them from sources where they can bring in diseases.

1 person likes this.
  9. Spoiled Birds

Mar 14, 2014
    Virginia
    thank you for replying.
    it's a very upsetting morning, with my 13 year old making us feel worse.
    does everyone have it by now?
    is it too late to separate them? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  10. MegPie

MegPie New Egg

Oct 19, 2014
    Hi, I recently brought a hen home from a swap and two days later her eyes started bubbling. I removed her from the flock and began giving her tetracycline powder in her water. A few days later all of my chickens began wheezing and gasping for air. I had 2 chickens cough up blood and die in my arms from suffocating:( All of them had been getting the powder in the water, obviously it wasn't helping. Then I got some Tylan 50 and injected about 0.1-0.2 ccs in the skin of the neck for every chicken. I did this for 3 days in a row, all seem to be cured now a few weeks later. A few days ago a hen had an eye crusted shut with discharge and puss. I put penicillin drops in the eye and cleaned it out for 3 days straight, it is not any better. What does she have now and what should I use to treat her?? Also....I am about to be moving my rabbits into the same shed for the winter, can they get anything from my chickens? What do I need to worry about? I heard some diseases can pass to them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by