What illness?

MintyEgger

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
IMG_2809.jpg
My 5 year old EE hen has been acting funny today. She's been low energy, has a squishy crop, has been drinking lots of water, and passed this poop. I think she might have sour crop, and have massaged her crop already. I'm planning on giving her ACV in her water. What is wrong with her, and should I quarantine her? I was going to move my young chicks into the coop with her today, but should I hold off on that? Thanks.

View attachment 3223255 My 5 year old EE hen has been acting funny today. She's been low energy, has a squishy crop, has been drinking lots of water, and passed this poop. I think she might have sour crop, and have massaged her crop already. I'm planning on giving her ACV in her water. What is wrong with her, and should I quarantine her? I was going to move my young chicks into the coop with her today, but should I hold off on that? Thanks.
I wouldn't quarantine her. Whatever is causing the sour crop is probably not contagious.

It's really hard to say what's wrong. Could be all kinds of things. Does her breath smell foul? Is it still squishy in the morning before she has access to feed?

If it is sour crop, it's treated with yeast infection meds - the kind you get in the feminine hygiene aisle.

When was the last time you wormed? Is she still laying eggs?

I wouldn't quarantine her. Whatever is causing the sour crop is probably not contagious.

It's really hard to say what's wrong. Could be all kinds of things. Does her breath smell foul? Is it still squishy in the morning before she has access to feed?

If it is sour crop, it's treated with yeast infection meds - the kind you get in the feminine hygiene aisle.

When was the last time you wormed? Is she still laying eggs?
I smelled her breath and it smelled fine. Nothing at all. I just noticed her acting strange today, so I'll check on her again tomorrow. She laid a few days ago. I have yet to worm her. We haven't had problems with worms before, but would you find dewormers at feed stores?

I smelled her breath and it smelled fine. Nothing at all. I just noticed her acting strange today, so I'll check on her again tomorrow. She laid a few days ago. I have yet to worm her. We haven't had problems with worms before, but would you find dewormers at feed stores?
Yes, but if she's not showing signs of worms, it's best not to treat.

I'd check her crop first thing in the morning before she has access to feed to see if it's emptied at all.

Is she maybe molting?

Back
Top Bottom