what in the world could be taking my birds.?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thechickenguy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    lost 3 ducks and 4 chickens one day. thats when i was away at my dads. not that im back from my dads ive lost 3-5 chickens and they only dissapear when im not outside. so whatever it is,is watching me and knows that when im inside my birds are vunerable and whatever it is grabs one and takes off. what could it be? what would do so often. lost 1 bird one day, two days later lost another,then the next day lost another one. and that was yesterday.

2. waltersbf

waltersbf Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    possibly a fox? I've heard that they kill more than they can eat and take them away to bury them for later. they are also quite bold and will strike in daylight hrs...what do others think?

3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Raccoons will come out in the day if they see an easy catch. They will kill it, take it away and hide it and add to the pile BEFORE they eat.

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Could it be a large hawk? Or possibly a neighbor's dog? Is this happening during the day, or at night? Are your birds in a pen that is covered? I worry about hawks during the day when my birds are out in the large "free range" pen, but haven't had anything happen. Sorry for what you're going through.[​IMG]

5. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Hawks have gotten to mine!!!

6. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    theres not set time when they dissapear. all i know is that they only dissapear as soon as i go inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by