What in the world did I just rescue/adopt from the cold snowy winter

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fenika, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Fenika

Fenika Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    At the local stable I heard a chick crying and went to investigate. The tiniest little banty peep was standing by his mama, who was scratching in a stall. There were two peeps which hatched a few days ago, but one disappeared. Mom was seen scratching in the snow earlier with her baby again crying and looking abandoned.

I offered to take them and the owner agreed- but I may have to give mama back.

I recognize her type, but don't know the name of the breed. I assume she's pure bred. Baby may or may not be.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb408/fenika3/89306090.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb408/fenika3/de0047c6.jpg

I'm not sure the wee peep will make it. Aside from a few days of trying to survive poor mothering, he was VERY thirsty. I watched him closely and he was doing okay, but when he went back for more he aspirated after several sips. He shook out most and I scooped him up and held him head down which helped. It was clean water, and he was soon peeping normally, but I'm concerned. Maybe a little tetracycline wouldn't hurt for these two. He's barely eaten, but he's taking more of an interest after getting hydrated. If I had a tube his side I would force feed him as I know how to do so safely...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cant see pics

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    [​IMG][​IMG]

ok here we go :) silk mix, polish mix, at least a mix with some sort of creasted breed

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Mama looks like a silkie/cochin mix :) she's very pretty and the little guy is definitely adorable :)

5. Fenika

Sep 25, 2010
    Thanks for the photo help :)

Those all sound like interesting mixes and nice breeds :) I think cochin is what I was vaguely thinking of. The owner said something about silkies...

Both of them have feathered feet and you can just see the green sheen to mama's feathers.

She's not a totally clueless mom- she's been dropping food for her chick, who just had a fairly normal dropping about 30 minutes ago, and hopefully more lost in the shavings. :)

6. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Aww super cute! Good for you and your big heart saving this lil fella. Good momma or not, its hard to brood in the snow!

7. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Remember chicks don't have to eat for a few days after being born. I wouldn't try to force feed it. It would probably do more damage then good. I don't think I would force it to drink either. Dip its beak every now and then but, if it is thirsty or hungry I am sure it will eat or drink.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a sultan mix that looks just like her. Adorable little birds!

Definitely don't force the chick to eat or drink, they will do so when they need to.

9. Fenika

Sep 25, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I only dipped the beak once. Good to know about them taking longer to eat- I've never had a lone chick. Yesterday morning he slowly gained an appetite and was soon eating well. He looked better for it too :)

I think he'll make it and both of them are happy to be inside. Mama hasnt even thought about jumping out of the brooder but I cover it when I'm not around.

10. Fenika

Sep 25, 2010
    Pepper the peep is doing great and eating TONS now. I will never forget that it may take them 3 days to eat properly :) I thought he was older from what the lady at the barn said, but apparently he was right around 2-3 days old.

His mama is being a good girl. She dotes over him and gets upset if I get between them (mostly she just pushes by me, but she has given me a few pecks for annoying her!) I named her Frightful after the falcon in My Side of the Mountain and the real life falcon featured on National Geographic (who jumps out of airplanes!)

I shot some video of them for anyone who hasn't had their daily dose of cute. You can see neither is too certain about the camera. ;)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by