What in the world did my hen lay?

Brittanygail

Chirping
Mar 11, 2023
Hello! So a little backstory. We purchased our house a year ago and it came with 2 hens. The owner said they stopped laying but didn’t know why. I just figured old age.. well we got 2 eggs since having them a year and today I just found this.. what in the world is this? we have 10 week old chickens in a pen right next to them and are going to put them with the big girls next weekend. Should I be worried that they will give them something? #worriedchickenmom
E5381819-D868-457E-A4B2-1FDAE712AD5D.jpeg
06075C02-34C1-461D-A6D2-2077F4853BFF.jpeg

This looks like salpingitis, infection of her reproductive system. If you have any amoxicillin on hand I would dose her 250 mg twice a day. You can order aqua mox on TSC, it's inexpensive and you get a huge supply to have on hand. I dosed mine twice for seven days a couple of weeks apart, and then dosed with turmeric paste for a week. I had one incident where I almost lost my girl, but five days in my living room on fish mox and she was all better. She doesn't lay anymore but she's healthy otherwise!

This looks like salpingitis, infection of her reproductive system. If you have any amoxicillin on hand I would dose her 250 mg twice a day. You can order aqua mox on TSC, it's inexpensive and you get a huge supply to have on hand. I dosed mine twice for seven days a couple of weeks apart, and then dosed with turmeric paste for a week. I had one incident where I almost lost my girl, but five days in my living room on fish mox and she was all better. She doesn't lay anymore but she's healthy otherwise!
Thank you! I will order aqua mox from tractor supply!! Glad your girl it’s better! I wonder if I should dose both hens bc I’m not sure who laid it. They are both acting normal

Thank you! I will order aqua mox from tractor supply!! Glad your girl it’s better! I wonder if I should dose both hens bc I’m not sure who laid it. They are both acting normal
Really would be best to figure out which chicken laid it. Antibiotics have a withdrawal time so you're looking at throwing away eggs for a certain period after treatment. I don't know what's recommended for amoxicillin, for enrofloxacin it's 3-4 weeks.

Also antibiotics only treat bacterial infections. If your case of salpingitis is viral, there is no treatment.

That's odd. Maybe she's getting back in production?!? I would also give antibiotics, but 500mg is a very high daily dose. I'd double check that.

Back
Top Bottom