What in the world is a "Blue Sport"?!?!?!

kerryandjennie

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
I got 3 Austrolorp hens yesterday and an Americana rooster. The guy I got them from said that the chicks would be blue. When I later asked what the roo was, he told me "Blue Sport". Does this mean anything to anyone? I've Googled it, but come up with nothing. Any help is appreciated! TIA!

My husband is the animal photographer around here, so I'll get him to take pics tomorrow so maybe someone will know what he is! LOL He is a very pretty rooster, though!

A blue sport is also called a splash. Blue does not breed true, so when you breed to blues together half of the chicks come out blue, 1/4 come out splash and the other 1/4 come out black. Splash are the chicks that received two blue genes from their parents, the blue chicks received 1 and the black chicks received none.

At least in OE the term sport is used to describe any chick that is not the color being bred together.
The sports are much lighter in color due to a double dose of the diluting gene.

Last edited:
Quote:
gig.gif

He might have been calling you sport.

As in:
That rooster will be blue, sport.

lol.png

Ahhhh! That answer makes a lot of sense, OtterCreek! Thanks!​

Well, it seems you are the veeery lucky new owner of the fabled Bleu Sport Rooster.
love.gif
Bleu Sport Roosters always wear Nike's, it's the "swoosh" logo that engages their attention, plus Nike's give the Bleu Sport Rooster the needed edge to out run the ladies. ( If you know what I mean) Nike's also help the Bleu Sport Rooster jump higher, jump farther and really dig for worms.

Bleu Sport Roosters only style their combs with Rene Furterer Anti-Dehydrating Structuring Mousse. Strong Hold, please and in the Mango Colada flavor. Mmmmmm............

Bleu Sport Roosters shop at Macy's for Calvin Klein Eternity cologne and use their bonus gift Boluva watch to tell time so they know when to crow in the A.M. They also have been known to shop in fine men's stores for handmade Tibetan Cashmere Tailfeather Shawls to protect the beauty of their bottoms while sleeping.

Bleu Sport Roosters take karate lessons from Chuck Norris and never lose a hen to hawks or foxes.

Bleu Sport Roosters are always Bleu.

Bleu Sport Roosters exibit gentlemanly behavior toward their hens.

Bleu Sport Roosters danced with Betty White on Dances With the Stars and won that shiny mirror ball to take back to the coop. This can be a distraction as they then want to look at their reflection all day. They can be a little conceited.

Bleu Sport Roosters are always good sports.

Back
Top Bottom