What in the world is going on...!?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by silkieluvr, Aug 22, 2008.

1. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I have 2 female pygmy goats named Blondie and Tessa. I had always wanted goats but didnt want to deal with having to milk them so I got in tough with a pygmy breeder and she told me if I didn't breed the girls, they wouldn't produce milk. Well the girls always have itchy utters and we happen to have a small stump out in their yard that is exactly the right size for them to itch their udders on. Yesterday I'm out saying hi to the chooks and Blondie goes to itch and what do you know a big line of MILK [​IMG] goes streaming across the yard!!!! I am so confused now, please help!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Pygmy goats produce milk, just like all female mammals, and can be pretty productive milkers for their modest feed requirements. Was she bred fairly recently? I have one female pygmy goat who was never bred but always has a full udder. We do not milk her because we don't want to milk her every day! We've had her about a yeear now and have had no issues with it. However, if we started milking her she'd no doubt produce more milk.

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    your other goat might be nursing off her..wont hurt anything if she is.

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    No, she has never been bred and I've never seen the other girl nurse but who knows lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by