1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what in the world is her problem???........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by americana-chick, Jan 24, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    My hatchery hen 'i think may be a new hampshire red' named, cluckers has been acting so weird lately! she only stays in the coop 24/7 except for when she is thirsty and needs a drink. and when she is in the coop and i open the coops doors she comes strait to me! she coos very softly and wants me to pet her, i dont think she could ave been scared of something because none of the other chickens are acting this way. is this a sign of getting ready to go broody?? i checked her vent to make she wasnt egg-bound she isnt from what i can tell. any thoughts would be helpful! thanks
    ~Bri

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

My Polish hen did that all fall and I finally figured out the reason. The other hens were picking on her when I wasn't there. I watched where they could not see me and they were chasing her everywhere [​IMG] She was running to me becasue I would protect her and when I was there they would not chase her.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Yes, it s very possible your hen is going broody ad now would be a good time to get fertile eggs to put under her. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG SHES BEEN LIKE THIS?

4. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    how could she be brody though? she doesnt really sit on the eggs just hangs out in the coop by the nests and stuff so i figured she might be getting ready to brood?

and she doesnt get picked on, she picks on the others! i have watched it several times, when she is by another hen she makes sure they know who is boss!

5. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    anyone??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by