1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What in the world is this egg anomoly?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Indigosands, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    I tried searching but couldn't find any yolk issues that resembled what happened here. This egg was much smaller than normal when I collected it, the egg sat on the counter in my house for around 2-3 days before I cracked it. We collect the eggs daily. The shell was normal, the egg WHITE was normal but the yolk was misshappen, pale and had lumpy stuff in it. I took a pic, it almost seemed to be full of ribbons of membrane or chalaza. There was no blood or developing embryo although we do have fertile eggs. When i broke it open it did have two tough membranes and the contents were stringy and gelatenous. Anyone know what it is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Chromosome boo boo. Probably a broken DNA chain.

Jim

3. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Huh. Ok so there's probably nothing wrong with her then, right?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Once in a while things happen. If it keeps happening, it's a problem. Usually it's a once in a while thing.

I think the average person has no idea how many eggs get discarded to make the perfect nazi-eggs in a grocery store carton.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by