What in the world is this!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RooptyDoo, Jan 7, 2009.

1. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I have 2 chickens that have swollen faces. Nothing else is the matter with them other than that. Their face are so swollen that their eyes are completely shut. This all started after we dusted them with sevin. Nobody was sick before. Could this be because of the sevin or is this something else???

2. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    Are there other chickens that AREN'T having reactions? What was the time frame?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would separate the ones that are swollen. Flush their eyes with saline solution, wipe clean and do again. Do you notice anything in the eye swollen or goopy? A lot of respiratory illnesses start out that way, so keep an eye out for that. More than likely they are having a reaction to the dust.

4. RooptyDoo

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I have 60 chickens all but 3 are fine. I treated them with seven on staturday and the swollen eyes started tuesday and wednesday.

5. RooptyDoo

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    They are fine now. It must have been from the sevin.

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Hey Roopty,
    I think it's funny how your B O chicks (that Natalie bought) are only 5 miles from me...
    small world, huh? Back to where their parents were raised! [​IMG]

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If it was the Sevin dust I would make sure you tag these 3 and do not dust them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by