What in the world?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hotmessJess, Nov 6, 2015.

1. hotmessJess

hotmessJess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Western NC
    Okay, so I hatched a good bit of our eggs trying to replace my ladies after dog-pocalyse (I was only left with 4 hens, 2 of which were meat birds). I have two different roosters, not related, and they both sired pretty equally. But I'll be blowed, d**n near 75% of all four hens' hatches were cockerels!

What in the world is in their DNA that caused them to put out so many boys?!

2. MainerChick

MainerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe they were trying to breed a generation of guard-chickens? Good luck with the next round!

3. hotmessJess

May 16, 2015
    Western NC
    I swear! I about died when the last group started to feather out and I was sure at least 14 out of 19 were cockerels! But I don't think my meatie mutants will make much for guards! They're everyone's friends!

[​IMG]

4. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Most of the time I get many more boys than girls. I just have to hatch more chicks in order to get a decent number of pullets. I've read that the normal ratio is 50/50, but I'm finding that is not so. Not in my flock.

5. hotmessJess

May 16, 2015
    Western NC
    I'm right there with you! I don't know who is getting this 50/50 bunch, but it's not me!

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's the hens that determine the sex of the chicks, so yell at them.....lol

7. hotmessJess

May 16, 2015
    Western NC
    AmyLynn, believe me, they've ALL been yelled at! I just couldn't believe there were so many boys, and I don't quite know what I'm going to do with them all. It's hard for me to process that which I've raised from an egg, and knowing that's my only recourse after pouring my heart into hatching them is killing me!

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I can't eat my own chickens. Usually in the spring I can sell them (cockerells) cheap in groups, especially if I throw in an extra girl or two, but the last few I had I had to take down to the Amish cause I couldn't even get any takers for free on CL.

I hatched out 11 Spitzhaubens at Easter and 9 out of the 11 ended up being boys. My worst ratio yet. lol

9. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Unlike you, this summer I hatched 5. all of them were pullet. I actually hatched them because I wanted two roosters. today I have 4 chicks hatched. wish me good luck
    I have 30 hens and one rooster, I need another one. the problem of buying adult rooster is they fight.

10. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Our cockerel chicks are given the best life possible, and when the day comes to butcher it's done in a way that they only know they're in danger for maybe 15 seconds. I've never re-homed any, since many, way too many chickens owners should not be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by