What in the world?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by campbell5, Mar 9, 2015.

1. campbell5

campbell5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    Does anyone have some insight on what breed this may be? We've started calling her Lacy but she always has her tail feathers down this way and she looks odd.

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Mixed breed.

3. campbell5

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    I figured. Lol. She always looks so uncomfortable and to be honest, she kinda creeps me out in her own cute little way. I worried momma may have been accidentally bred with a vulture or something. [​IMG] I bought her from a woman when Lacy was only 5 months old or so.

I wish I had been able to catch her on video running. She doesn't run like a normal chicken, she sort of hops back and forth from foot to foot while going forward. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

6. campbell5

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    Thanks, guys!

Rooster Man and I love her anyway. [​IMG]

7. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Poor thing does look odd ... as in not feeling too well. Tail down is a tell. As you mention, she doesn't look comfortable. Not at all. Is she wet? She looks like she needs a good cuddle. [​IMG] But that doesn't usually help chickens.

Is she a rooster? If she is a rooster, I would guess something like a Black Copper Marans.

Going by one photo is really difficult, though, since I can't see her dry (if she's wet) with her tail in normal position or how she acts/moves.

Good luck with her. I hope she starts perking up a little or ... ????

8. campbell5

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    I try to coax her into cuddles but she was a free range bird for a while before I got her and didn't seem too socialized with humans. She is an odd little bird, she tends to stay away from the other chickens (aside from one white silkie that she's bonded with). I'm pretty sure she is a hen, she's just not reached laying age, so we will have to see on that.

It was raining today, so they were all out looking for the first bugs of spring. I'll try to catch a better picture of her tomorrow after she's had time to dry in the coop tonight. She is still eating and drinking well, so at least that's a positive. :)

Black Copper Maran is the closest thing I have seen, so thank you! I wonder if she doesn't keep her tail down because we have two active roosters now - which was totally unexpected. I bought the second after being told it was a hen - SURPRISE. So, maybe Lacy is just grumpy?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  9. LotsOLopsChicks

LotsOLopsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    She is in a penguin stance-which can be a sign of egg binding. How old is she and your sure she is she?

10. campbell5

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    "She" hasn't started laying, so I'm really not sure.

I've never heard of egg binding, so thank you, Lops. I suppose I should go out and try to coax her into coming into "medical" for a couple of days. I just thought she was a bit strange but now I am going to look at her a bit closer.

I would say she is close to laying age. I bought her in the fall and she was already about 4-5 months old; the seller didn't have any idea as they were just running about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by