1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What, in your opinion, is the best way to clean an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skand, Nov 12, 2008.

1. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    We had an egg or two go bad this last hatch. What's the best and easiest way to get that stink out?

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    HI honey!
    Not sure I did it "right" but it worked for me. I use "Clorox Anywhere" which is a watered down mixture of bleach and water made to spray on hard surfaces. After I sprayed it down good, I let it sit out in the sun to dry. Seemed to work. I had one blow up last time I had the incubator on and it seems to smell just fine- and it cleaned up without stains...
    Good Luck
    Christina

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I soak the bottom, the plastic tray and the wire floor in a weak bleach/dawn dishwashing solution in hot water in the bath tub. Rinse well and let it all dry in the sunshine outside on patio table. The top I just wipe down with a damp cloth in the same solution and let dry in the sun.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Take it apart if possible and clean with warm mildy soapy water and soak in diluted bleach water.

5. skand

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    okay, um we have the sportsman model, (waiting for the ta-da music lol)
    This thing is frikin huge,and heavy. It has the shelves that tilt side to side, four of them. They are the wire/screen stuff, and the hatcher is cardboardy. We use those bed pads to keep that from getting yucky from the babies hatching out.
    But good gawd that thing reeks!

Thanks for all the opinions so far. All I've read says to fumagate with famaldahyde. I def don't want to smell something that reminds me of funeral homes!

So basically use watered down bleach?

I was also wondering, can I sprinkle baking soda in the bottom, under the hatcher drawer?
    Or will the fan blow it around and get in the egg pores?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Hinkjc (Jody) has Sportsmans I believe, might PM her and see what she uses on hers.

7. skand

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    kks, thanks.
    Well, washed the wick and water pan tonight, helped with the smell some. Just waiting on the next few trays to come out and that sucker is gonna get the bath of it's life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by