What incubator should I get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by huckleberryfarm, Jan 15, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I know I saw a post about this somewhere but now I can't find it! I need to buy an incubator that's easy to use. What type do you prefer? I guess if it makes a difference, I need one that is good for a smaller number of eggs (10 or so). Not sure if that matters or not.

Thanks!

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Brinsea Octagon Eco 20, set it and forget it!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:with the humidity pump.

Nice.

4. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    The post was title Brinsea vs RCOM It was maybe a week ago. The RCOM is on sale for a better price right now. It depends what features are important to you.

JD wrote today in that post "Well I missed my chance for the Suro20 at Poultry Suppy, they ran out of stock. But I did find it at jmtdistributors.com for the same price. If anyone else has missed it, this will be the last day for them also. Shipping for me here in TN was only 15.66. So I think I done pretty good."
    Hope you get this in time.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  5. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Wow! Y'all are fast! I think it was the octagon I was looking at. I want to put them in and then not mess with them except to take the chicks out! Thanks!

6. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Thank you! I was able to get the RCom and ordered it fast since the sale was ending in a few hours. I didn't really have time to research but I did look at the post and it looks like people like both. It was half off so I thought it was a good deal! Thanks again for posting that. You saved me a lot of money! Now I can't wait to get it!

7. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I don't think you should get one at all...and leave the porcelain d'uccle eggs to me! [​IMG]

Just kidding, I like the brinsea octagon eco although you may want to add the turner...keeps heat very stable! Good luck!

8. JD

JD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thank you joyrider for spreading the word. I was hoping someone else would be able to take advantage of the sale. I just can't wait to get mine. I was so dissapointed that I had missed that sale, (trying to talk hubby into it) lol so I did a search and came across that site. I even look on ebay and found one for 156.00. But it was from the UK and they wouldn't disclose the shipping on their site for the US, and I bet it would have been a lot from there to the US. To afraid to commit toward something like that. Good luck to you sugerhillfarm. Maybe we can hatch together!

9. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    Hey we're all friends here and what are friends for. Tomorrow I start my first hatch on a Brinsea advance. Christmas gift from my DH.
    How soon will you get it? Do you have eggs ready? There's a great CraZy egg auction going on.

10. JD

JD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thank you joyrider and good luck to you also. They state 3 to 5 business days so I assume by the end of next week. I just hatch some silkies on 11/16 with a banty boody and incubated a few silkies that was born on 11/28 and have a house full. Just about to send the broody and her babies outside to a broody cage while the weather is decent. Will also put a 150 watt bulb in there at night. I'm going to try with my other black tail bantys next when I can get them paired up. Have two of each, white black tail, buff black tail and mille d'uccles. Check out my babies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bator silkies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are growing so fast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by