What incubator should I get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bock, Nov 22, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Ok, so for a long time I have been planning on buying day old chicks from a hatchery, but just recently I decided to try and hatch eggs from a breeder. I have hatched duck eggs before in my little giant incubator (with a fan), but the temperature would spike, and humidity was hard to keep steady. I probably had about a 40% hatch rate. Last year, I tried to hatch 20 mix breed chicken eggs that someone gave to me, but while I was gone for a few hours, the temperature spiked to 108F, killing them all. [​IMG] My B-day is coming up, and I think a new incubator would be a good gift to ask for. Does anyone know of a good bator that isn't too expensive? I would LOVE one that stay at 100F w/out having to guess and turn that little knob thing all the time. Any suggestions are welcome! [​IMG]

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I have a genesis hovabator and I LOVE IT!

It holds the temp at a rock solid 100, you don't even need to set it when you get it from the factory. Just add water and the turner, and wait! [​IMG]

I'd definitely recomend it.

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I just looked at some old posts about this incubator. It looks like people had some great hatches with it! I will definitely consider this one. Where is a good place to buy it from (lower cost)? [​IMG]

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:www.gqfmfg.com is the manufacturer, they have it on their site too...

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance Ex with humidity control.

Plug and Play.

I've put as many as 30 eggs in it (stacking)

7. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I have a king suro and 2 hovabator genesis, and as wonderful as the king suro is about keeping temps and humidity perfect I'm not a fan of hatching in there, it's very small and short so I can't see much and I like to hatch in cartons so it's a bit tricky in that small space. So I use the king suro for day 1-18 because I set-it-and-forget-it, then move everyone to a hovabator. I also use the hovabator day 1-21 they are fabulous with a huge window.

I'm not a fan of styrofoam but if you get a new one the water trays for humidity are molded in a piece of plastic, much much more reliable than old models...my 2 1/2 cents

8. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's the only drawback of the Brinsea. with cartons they don't have much room to move once they hatch.

9. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Quote:How do you deal with so much crow in there if they hatching very closely? I am consider put some eggs in 1-2 day ahead then later move those eggs to the top layer to hatch first.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  10. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Since I had shipped eggs my last two hatches. When I candle there are always some that come out, quitters or scrambled.
    By hatch time I usually have about 20 in the brinsea and it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by