what influences a hen to lay in the day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BG2heu, Nov 15, 2010.

1. BG2heu

BG2heu New Egg

Feb 6, 2010
    I am curious as to the 'timing' of my girls' laying habits. They never seem to cackle until late in the day. it's now cold and dark most of the mornings, and we turn on a light at about 7-8 am. they still don't start making noise until 3-4 hrs later. and I have a few that like to lay an egg around suppertime. They had the same patten in the summer when it was sunny early. Best guess? or do the wise ones know?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine are mostly noontime layers but will lay at 5 PM too. Let's give you a bump for the why.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
  3. coldinnh

coldinnh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    NH
    no expert here- but I read somewhere (either here in Backyard Poultry or the like) that a cecadian (?) cycle is not set for new layers and won't be until their second year and that girls will plop when they will the first part of their first year.

4. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    I have morning girls, from 7am to noon. They are all in their first year. I only have four but they are fairly predictable. The sex link and the reds are all done by ten and set for about twenty minutes while laying. The barred rock climbs in the box around 10am and stays for two hours. I have wondered why she takes so much more time than the others, both pre lay and after, especially when she lays the smallest egg of the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by