What ingredient(s) raises the protein % in Chicken Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cwc362, Mar 12, 2009.

1. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    I know that corn and oats are not that high protein. What ingredient do the chicken feed people add to raise the protein percentage. I thought maybe soy , but thought some of you guys that are more knowledgeable could chime in and give me more info . Thanks in Advance

1 person likes this.
  2. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Soy products often have lots of protein, some are over 40% protein. There have been some recent concerns with too much soy though, so you might want to be a little careful (but I don't really know how to avoid soybeans - they're in everything!)

3. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    I only feed my chickens Corn and Oats. The corn is a filler and the Oats are for the protein.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    You can find out something about high-protein feed ingredients by looking at the Nutrient Requirements of Poultry, from the National Research Council.

Some ingredients with approximate crude protein might be:

soymeal 44%
    cottonseed meal 41%
    gluten meal 60%
    casein 85%
    meatmeal 52%
    fishmeal 60% to 72%

Keep in mind that the amino acids will need to be balanced to gain this level of protein from those ingredients derived from plants. And, I don't really know how much of these ingredients should be used in a feed. In other words, I don't know if it would be wise to use these things to make up one-half, or one-quarter, or even one-tenth of your rations. These were just some of the higher protein percentages that I noted on the list.

Steve

5. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Thanks for all the great info - !!

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh Links, were it so simple!

Unfortunately you are providing a die that is deficient in amino acids especially lysine and methionine.

Jim

7. links_56

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    What do I need to add to it then? This is how my grandpa did it with 3000 chickens for 25 years. That's why I do it like this.

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Here's a page with some feed recipes and explanations of why the different ingredients are used.

links_56 -- near the bottom of the page is info on the feed you're using, in addition to the oats and cracked corn they include wheat. (see "FEEDING FARM FLOCKS")

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Note that the Lionsgrip webpage is showing formulas from 1912 for a "farm flock" feed. Perhaps, it was meant that the birds were expected to free-range and have a chance to eat some animal proteins.

That would probably be the simplest way to increase balanced protein.

Amino acids were not even completely identified until the 1930's.

. . . just my 2 cents.

Steve

10. links_56

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    Thanks alot for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by