What is a 30'x7' Uhaul truck used for FINALLY FINISHED AFTER 2 MONTHS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FF, Jun 2, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Yep. A chicken coop. BIG and Nice chicken coop. I scrapped most of the motor and we are I guess going to take the rear end out and sell it. It is worth alot. Anyways yep. I have 50 or so chickens so thats pretty nice for them.

Please excuse the huge mess. It is a slow process. It really is. I plan on mowing the field just as soon as the mower bush hog is fixed and just as soon as I get all my stuff clened up I plan on it being red with lattice up as decorative fencing next to the truck and have it all nice. But now it looks like a dump literally everywhere there. Please overlook the mess and I will hopefully be able to get pictures of it cleaned up and mowed and I promise it will look better
    far field shot
    [​IMG]
    Close field shot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    taters and corn
    [​IMG]
    woods shot
    [​IMG]
    taters
    [​IMG]
    taters and corn. Corn is in with beans
    [​IMG]
    Here is my smaller tractor I use for plowing the taters and the smaller stuff. But as you can see its a mess too while she gets her motor rebuilt
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    [​IMG] waiting for pics please!! what a cool idea!

3. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Pictures, please.

4. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    recycling at it's best!

5. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    SO COOL! Can't wait to see pics. [​IMG] How will you use the cab/engine compartment? Feed storage?

6. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Honestly I really don't know. I though about scrapping it too and using it for feed storage like you said but right now its just a huge mess. The huge 4wd John deere we pushed it with really messed the field up so I have to work at that too so it don't kill all my grass. Then i will clean the cab out and if everything goes good then it will be for feed storage. [​IMG]

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

:thumbsupHow hot does it get inside the bed? I would use some thick bedding inside or sand, and put a lip on the back where all the chickens are gathered [​IMG] to keep it in....Also what about ventilation besides the one spot? I might would put a few long slits (4-8" tall and 2-3' long) up at the top of the sides and tack some flashing above the vents up there to keep water/rain out.
    Just an idea.

But i love it!

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It would get very hot....we used to have a UHaul like that many years ago at one summer. It was HOT and not much vent going on in there.

A few modifications for vents and air circulation would be sufficent to make it like a real chicken coop!

9. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    I like how you repurposed the loading ramp as the ramp for the chicken run. Ingenious!!!

10. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    what an awesome idea! LOVE your field! With some ventilation and modifications your u haul will be an awesome coop!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by