1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is a birds mouth on the coop top ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by henlady777, May 16, 2016.

1. henlady777

henlady777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2016
    MA
    [​IMG]

2. jklett

jklett New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    New Jersey
    The birdsmouth is the cut where the rafter ties to the top plate of the wall. On a small roof like a shed or coop, the easiest way to mark it is to set the board against the end of the ridge and the top plate and just scribe for the cuts with a pencil. If you are using 2x4's for the rafters, try to leave about 3" of uncut wood above the birdsmouth. Take your time making sure the first one is perfect and use it for a template for the others on that side(unless it fits perfectly on the other side, then you can use it for all of them). There are plenty of images on Google so you can see what it looks like. Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ha! I was just making some birdsmouth cuts on some rafter boards this weekend! My first attempt looked like a darned beaver had done the cutting...lol...or maybe a woodpecker. Switched to a jig saw and they look a LOT cleaner. I'm a small, middle aged female, and lack muscle power. So after marking where I wanted to cut (I'm only using 2x3s, not 2x4s), I clamped each board tightly in a table vise - the jig saw did a good, clean job...

1 person likes this.
  4. henlady777

Apr 12, 2016
    MA
    [​IMG]
    Like this ?

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Exactly like that. The angles of cuts depend on pitch of roof so it sits on the top plate. Of course that detail is for large construction, you don't need a double top plate for shed size out buildings.

To make it easy for yourself make a template with scrap piece of wood that works then use it to mark all the rafters to cut.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. henlady777

Apr 12, 2016
    MA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] so far so good

7. Kaylin

Kaylin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Man I learn all kinds of cool stuff coming here.

8. teach1rusl

Those look great!!

9. henlady777

Apr 12, 2016
    MA
    [​IMG] cant wait to get them out side
    they wrecking the house
    [​IMG]

crazy girls lol

10. teach1rusl

Oh yeah...I remember the dust and mess...lol. I enjoy having them close to watch for those first few weeks, but the payoff is a mess... I'm sure they will enjoy their roomy new home too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by