What is a chicken saddle and what is it for?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dave27889, Jan 20, 2009.

1. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    I keep seeing these saddles advertised or written about. I have never heard what they were for. I take that it something about stopping them from mating. please let me know I am just courious. Thanks, Dave

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Dave, they are to keep the pullets/hens from being roughed up during mating. feathers can be torn out, skin torn etc from overzealous cockerels/roosters.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I use and highly recommend them! Not only do roos pull feathers out with their beaks when they mate, their spurs can harm the pullets' backs.

4. dave27889

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    So it is protection for the hen if you have a rough rooster. Kinda like chaps for a cowboy when he is riding a horse. I get it. Thanks a lot. I have not been breeding chickens only raising them for eggs. No roosters until this spring. Thanks again for the information. I guess we learn something new everyday Thanks, Dave

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:yes and also in case of frequent breeding.

(every time we learn something new, we get a wrinkle in our brains!)

6. dave27889

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    I turn 50 on January 22nd. I'll take the brain wrinkle just not the face ones. Thanks, Dave

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I was just thinking the same thing!!! (I am only a few years behind you [​IMG] )

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

happy birthday in 2 days (in case I forget later!) [​IMG]

9. dave27889

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    Don't worry it's not that bad. A friend just told me this the other day. He said " Hey Dave everyday above ground is better than one under it. " In a way I guess he is right. I want to go to Heaven but just not right this second. Take care and good lunk when you get to my new old age. HA HA HA. Later, Dave in NC

10. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Thanks for asking that I have been wondering that too is that also what they use aprons for

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by