what is a chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shaggy, May 12, 2009.

1. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i see the phrase and all i can think of is Foghorn Leghorn sitting on the back of a brush hog mowing down hay fields.

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    It is a portable coop that you can move all over the yard . Kinda cool......
    They have wheels on them

3. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    that sounds cool

thanks

4. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Here is a picture of my chicken tractor. I made it narrow enough to fit in my rows in my garden. That way my girls can work (pick weeds, eat bugs, etc) and I can move it around. I will only put a few in at a time. This will also keep them from eating my good stuff!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Oh, I love that green tractor!

Here is my monstrous tractor. It is super heavy, and we actually took the wheels off because the weight of the tractor crushed them. This was given to us by a neighbor, I use it for chicks before they are big enough to go in with the big girls. Obviously we don't move this thing around much so I guess technically it isn't a tractor, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

6. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I build my chicken tractors in the old European style, and although they do not have wheels, they're easily moved around with two people because of the long handles on each end.

This one is 8 ft long by 4 ft wide and will hold probably up to 5 or 6 full size hens. I always err on the side of caution though and put in fewer birds than I think any structure can actually hold, in order to prevent picking before it starts.

Here's my chicken tractor all closed up:
    [​IMG]

And here it is with all the removable doors off:
    [​IMG]

7. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I love the concept of these, but I have 2 things that worry me. First, I live in Maine, and it it gets COLD..so would something like that only work during the warmer months? Second, how is it against predators? Couldn't a racoon or foxe dig under it really easy, or is the tractor for daytime use only?

8. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    this isn't for overnight use. Only for a few hrs at a time. I'll put them in the coop at night.

9. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Dang...I thought chicken tractors are what you drove to harvest the eggs from the fields...silly me!

10. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i like the one with the handles on it --- gives me a few idea's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by