1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is a comfortable amount of chicks under one heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kimbristow, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Kimbristow

Kimbristow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    My brooder is 3ft 9" x 2ft 7" with a standard ceramic heat lamp. I have a new incubator that holds 48 chicken eggs, I know that all the eggs will not hatch, but at the same time I don't wish to over load the brooder and make my chicks suffer with over crowding.

This is the first time hatching more than 20 birds and your advice will mean a lot.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some years ago I ordered 50 chicks at the end of the season and was all set with a smaller version of an Ohio brooder when I was told I probably wouldn't get any.
    In a rush, I ordered 25 from another source. A few days after they arrived I got a call that the original 50 were coming.
    I quickly built the second brooder.
    It's basically a hover with a couple heat lamps where the chicks can go warm up but lots of cool space outside the hover.
    I don't even bother checking temperature.

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/hkmw/downloads/46524.pdf

[​IMG]

One heat emitter should be OK for yours. They'll hunker together if they get cold.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. Kimbristow

Mar 25, 2015
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, you have put my mind at ease.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Excuse me for jumping in here, but the brooder you plan on using is barely large enough for six chicks let alone four dozen!

Let's assume only half those 48 eggs hatch. You will need a brooder the size of a stock tank to adequately house them without overcrowding. Baby chicks are not like Burger King hamburger patties to be warmed like so much meat. Your brooder will only suffice for about a week, and even then, that many chicks will not be able to comfortably move in and out of the heat zone to warm up and cool down.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    azygous makes a good point. It's hard to count your chickens before they hatch. That space should handle up to 20 for the first week but will quickly need something larger so be ready.
    Normally I have a full or half of a 8'X12' building for chicks but occasionally the building is already full or in the dead of winter it's too cold out there if around zero. In that case I buy a few large moving boxes at Lowes. They're about $1.50 each and you can cut doorways between multiple boxes. I drop the heat emitter in one put food and water in another and a third for lounging. It's quick, cheap and easy.

6. Kimbristow

Mar 25, 2015
    Thank you so much for the information, it has helped a great deal, my fingers are now crossed for a good hatch in 4 weeks time.

7. Kimbristow

Mar 25, 2015
    Thank you for jumping in as the more information I have and can use is going to help me raise happy healthy chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by